Thursday, December 6, 2012

10 Sandwich Ideas

It's always great to add variety to the usual routine! I don't think I can be considered brilliant in many subjects, but I can make a damn good sandwich. I consider it a gift, and I don't take it lightly. I feel it's time to share a little sandwich recipe roundup.
















Classic peanut butter and jelly--or peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and honey, almond butter and honey...the list goes on.


Breakfast sandwich: Fried egg, a slice of cheese (cheddar, Havarti, Swiss, , Gruyere, whatever!), and jelly on a whole-wheat biscuit


Grilled cheese: a combination of cheeses works best (I love Manchego, cheddar, Gruyere, or feta), and adding caramelized onions, tomatoes, and any roasted vegetable (eggplant, zucchini, squash, mushrooms) is a terrific idea 



Tuna Salad (grilled with cheese for a melt or cold in a wrap)

And now...introducing the Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich!


Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich
For each sandwich:
  • 1/2 cup roasted turkey, shredded
  • 1/2 cup stuffing
  • 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
  • 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 slice Havarti cheese
  • 2 slices bread (I recommend sourdough, of course, or whole-grain/whole wheat--something with texture)
  • Optional: gravy (of course, you could insert a Moist Maker a la Monica on Friends, but I thought it might be a bit much)
This sandwich can be served cold or warm. For cold, simply assemble and serve. For hot: Reheat the stuffing, preferably in the oven (I throw the stuffing into a casserole dish and bake, covered, at 375 for 15-20 minutes). Meanwhile, toast the bread. About one minute before the toast is ready, place the cheese on the bread and continue to toast for another minute. Reheat the turkey as desired (microwave or add to the stuffing dish in the oven). 

To assemble: Mix the mustard and cranberry sauce, then spread on the non-cheese side of the bread. Pile the turkey and stuffing on the bread and top with the other piece of bread. Enjoy!

We ate our sandwiches with a simple spinach salad tossed with balsamic, almonds, and olive oil. 


What's your favorite type of sandwich?

3 comments:

  1. there is NOTHING better than a thanksgiving leftovers sandwich. my family always makes like double the turkey we need so that we can all have sandwiches the next day. i love to dip mine in gravy like a french dip. yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really doesn't get any better to me than pb & banana. When I'm not eating oatmeal for breakfast, some form of pb & banana (whether on toast, english muffin or bagel) is my breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, there is nothing better than any sort of sandwich. i find them so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete