Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 Goals

Last year, I posted a few of my goals for 2012. I actually followed through pretty well!

As you may have realized, I love the idea of setting goals. Setting goals properly sets up a higher probability for success. And actually, my alma mater recently asked me what advice I have for someone trying to keep a New Year's resolution. My response:


It's certainly different for everyone, but most classes, jobs, and advice I've taken have shown that three tips can lead to success:

  1. Tell others about your goals. Maybe you're only telling one or two people, or maybe you're sharing your goals on Facebook, but if people know, they'll help keep you accountable. Moreover, you might inspire someone else!
  2. Track your progress. How do you know if you're achieving your goal if you don't measure your success? If your goal is to "be healthy," you will likely have trouble determining that goal's progress unless you define what it means to be healthy. 
  3. Reward yourself occasionally. If you reach a milestone in your progress - let's say eating out only once per week for an entire month - then you deserve a reward. (And perhaps a non-food reward????)
There are plenty of other ways and tips to help you succeed in your goals, but I guarantee these guys will get you started.

And it's only fair that I share my goals, right? Having a blog certainly keeps me accountable, so I'm following my own advice and letting you know how I plan to be a better me in 2013.


Health, Fitness, and Food Goals

  • Use my personal training education to build my own comprehensive workout program.
  • Run a 10K for time. (Actual time is TBD, but sub-54:00 would be cool - 9-minute mile pace!)
  • Cook a new recipe from a cookbook at least once per week, and create my own new recipe at least twice per month.
  • Complete at least the month of January on a morning workout schedule, and determine if it can be a permanent switch.
  • Take at least one class to increase my knowledge about fitness, health, and/or cooking. 
General Goals
  • Stop biting my nails (nervous habit that I've done for years and Terry hates).
  • Read at least one new book per month.
  • Give 110% at work - in planning, preparing, executing, and reflecting upon my lessons.
Blogging Goals
  • Continue reading my favorite blogs, and find new favorites to follow. 
  • In addition to posting, make time to comment on other blogs and participate in social media.
  • Take a food photography class OR attend a blogging conference.
"Would-Likes" - Not goals, but we're hoping it'll happen this year:
  • Travel to Europe
  • Rescue a puppy
  • Start the process of buying a house
To start the year off on the right foot, we headed out for a tough hike this morning - seven miles! IT was the same hike we did in July last year, and it didn't get any easier. If you're in LA looking for a tough hike, I'm happy to provide all the info.



For dinner tonight, we made a new recipe: Ina Garten's Winter Minestrone Soup from her Foolproof cookbook (a Christmas gift). Honestly, I was worried I wouldn't like it, but who am I to doubt the Barefoot Contessa? It was phenomenal! 



Oh, Ina...you rock. 

What are your goals for 2013? How do you feel about the idea of resolutions?
I absolutely love setting goals and working toward a specific accomplishment, but I've read several articles and blogs lately that aren't such big fans. 

6 comments:

  1. love your goals - particularly biting your nails! i'm a huge nail-biter but the problem is so is tex, so no one hates my habit which means i'll probably never quit :) and that soup looks amazing! ina is the queen of all things delicious so that doesn't surprise me one bit. i'm jealous of your cookbook! i'm hoping to create more recipes this year too so i'm looking forward to seeing all of your hard work in the kitchen pay off. maybe i'll just make my goal "cook all of julie's new recipes this year"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that goal! YES! Cook my recipes and then come do a guest post for me where you tell about your favorites (and least favorites???). :-)

      The nail biting is way easier than I thought, actually. Now that I'm consciously aware of NOT doing it, I notice how quickly my nails grow!

      Delete
  2. these are all so exciting. I am with you on trying to read one book a month. I really need to get back into reading for pleasure. I am starting off pretty good. I also want to start cooking more, you always have such great recipes so I will have to use you for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is soooo enjoyable! I deprive myself of it way too much! Thanks so much for the compliment - I truly love cooking and sharing my recipes!

      Delete
  3. that hike looks amazing! we would freeze our buns off if we tried to go for a hike right now though. brrr....

    i decided not to set any resolutions this year. instead, i'm going to set monthly goals! i think doing it more frequently will help me stay on top of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Short term goals are awesome--you can see results right away! I'm excited to hear about them. :-)

      Delete