Monday, January 14, 2013

The Return of the Losers

A few thoughts regarding The Biggest Loser:

  • I would not be upset at all if I had Jillian Michaels' arms. 
  • Terry thinks I could be like Jillian if I was a trainer, and I think that was a terrific compliment.
  • I feel so motivated and inspired by The Biggest Loser. The contestants work SO hard and struggle through physical, mental, and emotional obstacles; the trainers show so much passion for healthy living and truly invest themselves in their charges. I love it! And I cry almost every episode.
  • So far, I have only watched the first episode (it's a DVR-and-watch-when-we-can kinda show), but I'm really liking the kids (of course) and Pam. And Jillian.

You know this show is one of only two reality shows I watch (SYTYCD is so far away!), and I LOVE it! I realize that a lot of the methods used on the show for weight loss are controversial, but my exposure to health research has taught me that, for the most part, keeping that weight on is far less healthy than almost any means of losing it (of course there are exceptions!). I also disagree with lots of choices on the show, particularly some of the foods they encourage and advertise, but again, the contestants and trainers are why I watch. Don't be surprised if you see some Jillian-inspired posts here!

This morning we took a rest day, as planned, and tomorrow we're back to 5 am for upper body and HIIT. While I used to feel really guilty and lazy on days off, I now know how important it is to give myself rest. I always feel so much stronger and more motivated the next day! 

And tonight, we were able to take the time to prepare a delicious meal. 
  • Chicken: We threw one chopped onion, a few smashed cloves of garlic, and a whole chicken (rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin) into the crock pot for 7 hours on low.
  • Hearty oat loaf 
  • Steamed artichokes with homemade hollandaise 

Seriously amazing stuff. This chicken is SO tender and juicy, and I've never been disappointed with the bread. It's dense, a little chewy, and perfect for reheating for breakfast. And we need to have artichokes more often, because they rock. I'm also pretty stoked to enjoy some sort of avocado/chicken/spinach concoction for lunch tomorrow.

It's a mellow night over here, watching How I Met Your Mother and a DVR episode of Happy Endings before early bed and a crazy early wake up time. 

Best meal you've had lately? Feel free to link up recipes!

4 comments:

  1. Love Jillian and love her arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been loving biggest loser so far. i've never actually watched it before but i fell in love with jillian michaels over the past year so when she came back i decided i wanted to watch this season and i'm loving it. i love that they're tackling childhood obesity but think they're doing so in a way that's really respectful to the kids which was my only concern. yay loser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want her arms too! I mean for real, that lady would make me shit myself and yet work out the hardest i have ever worked before

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I don't make artichokes more. So good!

    ReplyDelete