Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Great Toe-Strikes Debate

A few days ago, I mentioned on Facebook that I visited the podiatrist to figure out what's going on with my sore foot. It has ached for a few months, even with rest from exercise and wearing tennis shoes. Fortunately, it's not broken or fractured, and all ligaments and tendons are in tact; unfortunately, the doctor didn't know exactly what's wrong. But he did give me permission to continue running.

So my mention of being able to run and my visit to the doctor prompted a little controversy about running technique. I have no idea if my running style is causing the foot pain, but one friend suggested trying toe-strikes. Apparently Harvard conducted a study that shows how toe-strikes decrease impact during running. Another friend agreed and said it essentially healed her shin splints, but then a third friend warned me that toe-strikes can help some runners but can also cause other issues, such as calf strain, because the calf muscle is consistently engaged.

I'm curious to know more about running technique, especially since I now run about four times per week. I usually run on concrete, because that's what's available in our area, but I know softer ground is supposed to be better. I'll continue to research; meanwhile, I'm taking Aleve for my foot in hopes of reducing any possible inflammation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment