Sunday, August 14, 2016

A Week of Challenges

We've had a wild week or so around here. I am a little unsure of how this new week is going to go, but first let's recap last weekend, which included a visit from my parents!

(Random adorable photo of Marshall with his future sibling.)

My parents arrived Friday and picked up Marshall from day care for us so we could work. They stayed really close to our apartment, which made the visit extra convenient.

My mom generously brought down several homemade meals for us to freeze for after baby. Our freezer is now overflowing! I'm grateful, but we need to make it two more months (hopefully), so I might need to find a back up freezer. It's a good problem to have.

As part of our visit, we all headed to the Metro to take the train to brunch one morning. It was so fun!

My dad's birthday was in July, and my birthday was August 11, so we also celebrated. I baked a coconut cake (his favorite!), which was really fun for me. I really love making birthday cakes; there's something special about putting lots of love into baked goods for someone I care about. :-)

We also went out to dinner, and my dad and I ordered the same thing. Here's my plate after:

And his plate after:

He's got this thing where he almost literally licks his plate clean. I finally asked him why, and he said it's because he grew up with three brothers, so he had to eat with gusto.

And then they had to head home, but it was a great visit, and we're looking forward to the next one!

The rest of the week quickly turned to chaos as we got ready for our next big event: Terry's knee surgery. A while back, he tore his ACL and lateral meniscus playing flag football. When it was determined that surgery would ultimately be the best path, we decided to get it over with before baby arrives. So on Wednesday, he headed in for his (first!) surgery. I took the day off work, and Marshall went to day care as usual.

The day itself turned out to be rather stressful. I hadn't really thought how scary it would be to watch my husband go into surgery and then be left by myself afterward for several hours. I went to lunch, ran a few errands, and anxiously awaited the doctor's call. Unfortunately, the timing was all messed up and the communication from the recovery ward was less than clear, so I picked up Marshall once I realized how late the surgery was running. When we tried to go back to see Terry we ended up having to stay out of the recovery room. (Note from Terry: The nurse in recovery was apparently terrible, so he wasn't surprised she kicked me out with my toddler and giant belly.) I cried as I carried Marshall back out to the car, unsure of what to do or how to get back up there to see Terry. It was not a great moment for this exhausted, emotional, pregnant mama.

I don't know if I've ever felt more guilty than I did when I realized I wouldn't be there with Terry when he woke up from his surgery. Thankfully, my friend Amanda came to rescue me after she finished work and spent some time with M so I could meet Terry. By then, though, Terry was discharged, so the nurse was already wheeling him out. I felt absolutely awful for not being there, and the day completely wiped me out. I know I did all I was capable of that day, but I felt pulled in a million directions. I am so grateful to our friends for being so supportive and willing to help.

Upon arriving home WAY later than we expected, our friend Justin generously met us to help Terry up the stairs and bring us dinner that he and Jenn had cooked for us. Eggplant parm is incredible comfort food, just for the record.

After that horrible, horrible day, we woke up to my birthday! I turned 31 on Thursday, and I ended up deciding to take the day off (with much encouragement from my boss and coworker). While I was tired and busy all day, it was such a blessing to be home to take care of Terry, to care for Marshall, and to keep our house running amidst all the chaos. I am so grateful for these boys (plus the little blessing in my belly!), and being with them on my birthday is all I need. Living this life is such a gift.

Marshall being silly on the way to daycare:

There's been a little more of this lately:

 Believe it or not, Terry is actually feeling pretty well. He's barely taken any pain meds since arriving home and is motivated and active despite his condition. In fact, on Friday night we attended an awards dinner for his work! Can you see the brace?
(Thanks for letting me borrow the dress, Heidi!)

We were quite a sight, me all pregnant and Terry all gimpy (his crutches are not in the photo but are definitely necessary for him to walk). But I am glad we attended the dinner, because it was pretty awesome to see my stud of a husband win an award with his team. Bonus: His team was by far the youngest to accept an award!

On Saturday, we got another tough day: Marshall suddenly came down with the stomach flu (turns out it is going around at his school). After three rounds of carpet cleaning, a bath and a shower for Marshall (plus one for me), about ten loads of laundry, and a few hours of holding my poor little boy, we survived the evening. I ended up sleeping on the floor next to Marshall's bed, a good idea because he woke up about six or seven times before 3 am. But ouch--sleeping on a hard floor while pregnant was a TERRIBLE idea. I am so sore and achy today!

But can we pause for a moment and talk about how awesome my husband is? Three days out of surgery, down on the floor cleaning up his kid's bodily fluids. This is the man I married, and I am so glad I did.

Today, after a rough night of sleep, Marshall woke up at 8:30 (thank goodness!) feeling mostly better. He kept down applesauce for breakfast, and then he and I headed out for some fresh air and a light walk. It was definitely the highlight of the weekend! We stumbled upon a construction site, and Marshall surveyed all the debris. This little boy loves construction!

(At one point, I told him it sounds like he's ready to be a construction worker. His response: "No, I'm a boy." Okay, buddy. Point taken.)

While Marshall took an epic almost-four-hour nap this afternoon, I ventured out by myself for grocery shopping and stopped at Target to find something fun for Marshall and Daddy to enjoy together while Terry is resigned to the couch for a few weeks. I lucked out with a memory game! So far, Marshall only wants to put the pieces into the box, but we'll get there.

After this rough week, I'm ready for a fresh start but nervous for what the challenge of a full week of work will bring. We are so grateful to friends and family for their help and support, meals, and offers to do what they can to ease the burden of dealing with a bum knee, a toddler, an illness (which we pray is done), and a pregnant mama. But on the other hand, I have to admit I'm pretty proud of our little family for dealing with all these obstacles. It has shown me I'm stronger than I thought, Marshall is more independent than we often give him credit for, and Terry is even more amazing than I realized. Plus it's a lesson in knowing how many people we have around us willing to help, and I am so, so thankful. Part of me thinks if we got through the last four days, a newborn in a couple months will be no problem! ( to me in late October to see how things are going then.)

And with that, we begin Monday.


Post a Comment