Thursday, November 21, 2013

WIAW and My New Job

Since Terry is out of town for most of November, December, and January, and I'm subbing this year (no grading, no lesson planning), I thought it might be fun to work part time during the holiday season. I happened to find several local retailers who needed part time associates for a few months, so I applied and got a position at a store in Santa Monica!

I've only been working for about two weeks, but so far I'm having a good time. The other employees are especially nice, and the store has to do with cooking and home goods, so I'm actually interested in the products we're selling. I do get a discount, but I'm trying to resist spending my entire paycheck on stuff I don't really need (although I'm known around our house for convincing myself and Terry that we definitely do need certain items he never would have thought about buying). My job includes helping customers, helping at the cash registers, and keeping the store organized.

While I'm definitely enjoying the work so far, I also have to figure out how to balance this new schedule. On some days, I'm subbing 7:30-2:30 and then working 4-8 or even later. It's a bit of a struggle determining when exactly I should eat my meals, work out, play with the cat, blog, and--most importantly--talk to Terry at the end of his day before he goes to bed on the East Coast. Yesterday, I ate lunch at 3 pm, worked from 4-8:45, and then scarfed down another meal around 9:15. Not exactly my usual routine.

Today, I didn't have a sub job, so I took the morning and early afternoon to catch up on a few neglected tasks that I missed over the weekend (<--our weekend in St. Augustine, Florida). I cleaned dishes, swept the back porch, played a lot with Scout, went grocery shopping, worked out, and made a spaghetti squash lasagna (same as the linked recipe, but I added ground beef to the marinara sauce).

The squash almost won, but I eventually conquered it.


Then I proceeded to eat said lasagna at 2:45 pm. My stomach is very confused.

Here's what the rest of my meals looked like today:

Breakfast: an egg sandwich with Havarti cheese and jam on wheat bread, plus an extra egg on the side, and tea


Midmorning snack (pre-grocery shopping): graham cracker with cream cheese and jam

"Lunch" (sort of): two bowls of Uncle Sam + TJ's Rice cereal, tossed with a dash of cinnamon



"Dinner," but sort of just a late lunch that would have to hold me over during work: spaghetti squash lasagna. Amaaaahhhzing!

 (Recycled photo)

I already can't wait to eat more of that deliciousness. And after work I came home at 9 pm to another bowl of cereal, a mug of hot chocolate, and a banana with peanut butter. I guess work gets my appetite going!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

If you could work anywhere part time, where would you work? I'm pretty stoked about the job I have now, but I also would love working at a gym or writing part time for some sort of publication.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Are you hoping to work towards training clients eventually? Clearly, I have pretty much done nothing with my NASM cert seeing as I realized how badly I wanted to be back in music. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your new job is awesome. As someone who loves to cook, I’d definitely feel at home at a cooking and home goods store. Although I may not necessarily be a big eater, I really love working in the kitchen. You could say it’s one of the many ways that I unwind after a really long day.

    Arnold Parsons @ EpiphanyStaffingGroup

    ReplyDelete