Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stay-at-Home Wednesday

Happy Wednesday! Halfway through what is probably the first full work week of the year (you know, for those will full time jobs). Terry is back to work in a big way, but, in a dramatic plot twist, he came down with a cold over the weekend and opted to stay home to work today. It's lovely having him here! I try not to talk to him or interrupt his work, but at least I can gaze lovingly at his handsome face. And I can ask him which laundry is clean versus dirty. You know, that kind of thing.

Last night I arrived home from work around 11:45 pm. It was inventory night at the store where I'm working part time for the holidays, and I got to experience the joy of helping to scan and count every single item we carry. Fun, right? Actually, it wasn't so bad. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, and since we had no customers we could wear what we wanted and chat while we worked. Sadly, pregnancy brain resulted in multiple mistakes on my part, so I took longer completing some tasks than I thought possible. Who knew counting would be so difficult?

But all the squatting, sitting on the floor, getting up and down, and awkward (although, thankfully, not heavy) lifting has left me feeling suuuuuper sore today. Guess I should add "working in retail" to my list of pregnancy workouts, huh?

Today I slept in a bit (shockingly, no teachers have called in sick to work this week, so I'm making the most of my days off to get things done around the house) before making myself some blueberry pancakes. I whipped up the batter on Monday morning, and I think that was one of the best decisions I've made all week. I have a super simple meal each morning, plus a serving of berries, and all I have to do is cook them on the stove. I even made one for Terry as a "dessert" for his breakfast. I sliced up some banana on the side, too.

I spent a good portion of the morning exhibiting what I would call my first signs of nesting. I reorganized two bookshelves, cleaned out some boxes we've been storing (unnecessarily) for years, and tidied up the kitchen. Then came snack time: Greek yogurt, honey, and peanut butter.

Lunch today came in two courses. Believe it or not, I started with a kale salad. I made it yesterday, based on Terry's favorite kale salad from True Food Kitchen: lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, salt, and Parmesan. 

And then a pork tamale from our farmer's market (we bought a dozen last week, and it was brilliant on our part if I do say so myself). These tamales are phenomenal. 

After lunch and researching some baby registry stuff (um...I'm overwhelmed), I picked up Jenn and we headed to a park by her place for a long walk and some catching up. According to my FitBit, we ended up covering almost five miles (11,000 steps)! It felt awesome to get some exercise and chat with my buddy.

When I got home, I sliced up an (unpictured) apple and some gouda, which Terry and I shared. Then we finished getting dinner ready (I had done all the chopping while heating up my lunch): Our favorite vegetable kabobs!

 I served them with grilled sourdough bread, warmed feta, goat cheese, and burrata cheese.

My recent favorite drink: half sparkling pomegranate, half sparkling apple.


Another highlight of the meal: we got to try a gift from our friends Heidi and Ed, who gave us some fancy garlic olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar for Christmas.

Soooo good!

Tonight we've been lounging, catching up on the DVR, and chilling on the couch. Believe it or not, I have virtually no sweets in the house, which is completely unacceptable, so dessert will be graham crackers with peanut butter and chocolate chips. It's either that or going out for a milkshake, but we're already in our pjs, so there's no way that's happening!

Hope you had a great day! What was the highlight? Mine was a tie between catching up with Jenn and getting a foot massage from my husband. Perks of being pregnant!

Check out the other WIAWs!

Of possible interest:


  1. OMG your day sounds like a dream come true. Seriously - and super tasty too!!!! I LOVEEEEEEEE when I work out with friends but it doesn't feel like working out at all, and then WHAAA-BAMM: exercise is done :)

    1. It really was a dream day! I will not be upset about a few more of these before baby!

  2. this is my FOURTH day off in a row.... i have not been nearly as productive as you! lol