Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pumpkin Challenge

Aaaannnnd we're back! Back to the usual around here, although somehow it's still not feeling normal yet. Perhaps because I'm not working full time this year, I feel like I'm still not back in the usual swing of things, despite arriving home almost a full week ago. Maybe it's the weird weather (rain, then bright blue skies, then more rain, but pretty chilly--unusual for LA), or the attempt to get back into our normal exercise routines, or the fact that I'm falling asleep around 9 pm and waking up around 5.

Whatever it is, I'm still glad to be home and am eager to get back to the usual blogging routine. It's also been nice to have a substitute job almost every day! (We're sort of in a limbo year, and we may end up moving, so I decided to switch to subbing this year, which has been a weird but not bad experience. The subbing part is actually pretty fun, because I had a lot of the students last year, but it's strange not teaching my own curriculum and having so much time on my hands. No grading or lesson planning? What do I do with myself?)

It's been really fun reading all the blog posts around the web getting psyched up for fall. I think it's safe to say that people love fall as much if not more than summer. People in hot areas seem grateful for a reprieve from the heat, and everyone loves pumpkin-flavored everything (how do you like that hyperbole?). I'm not into the Pumpkin Spice Lattes (I feel left out), but I do like pumpkin bread or muffins (especially with cream cheese) and pumpkin pie. I also bought an Autumn Harvest candle the other day, and I felt enveloped by the coziness that is a rainy fall afternoon.

Fitness Classes in Public Areas 

If you live in the Southern California area, you've probably heard here or there on the news that fitness classes at parks have been a controversial issue. Apparently some residents are complaining that the parks are too crowded with these types of classes and that some people bring heavy weights and tear up the land (to the latter group, I ask: What the heck are you doing with your weights?). Now there will be fees (according to this article, in the thousands of dollars annually) to host fitness classes and regulations about when and where classes can take place.

It's an interesting topic. On one hand, shouldn't we be thrilled that our community is getting fit and that trainers are able to run a small business with minimal upfront costs? Don't we want to encourage health and fitness? Also, how will you regulate a "fitness class" versus a group of "friends" getting together to work out (is the problem that people are paying for the class or that the class exists?)? Would running and cycling groups still be allowed?

On the other hand, it's understandable that some community members would feel that too many of these classes would detract from the park environment. Plus, you don't really see other "small businesses" meeting at a park to make money--with the exception of street performers. But I think they might need permits, too. When I spoke to my friend Jenn about this the other day, I mentioned that I thought it would be good to have certain sections of the park available, perhaps for a small fee (but thousands?!?) and maybe sign ups to ensure a fair rotation. But I think the initial plan here is a bit too harsh. Thoughts?

Partner Workout

Speaking of working out in public places, Jenn and I met up this week for a short workout in the park. It was simple and quick, but it can be modified to be more or less intense.




Pumpkin Challenge

Okay, I have a fun challenge for you all: While in Prague, Terry and I spotted something and said the exact same quote at the same time, which is why we are married. Then I sent the following photo to my friend and told her she had to guess what the quote was. She got pretty close but not exact.

So my challenge is this: What was the quote we said when we saw this post on the ground? 




The only hint I'll give is that it's from a TV show. Obviously.

And if you're the first to get it right (comment or e-mail), I'll send something pumpkin-flavored your way! Good luck!

To check out all the recent posts about our Europe trip and past trips, here are the links:

2 comments: