Thursday, April 30, 2015

Lasagna and a Move

Yesterday I carved some time out of Marshall's naps to make lasagna. I used this recipe from AllRecipes, which we've made before (Terry made it a few years ago and says it's his proudest kitchen accomplishment so far, but I think he's made some chili renditions that certainly rival it). Anyway, it's definitely a fair amount of work, but I split it up:
 - during Marshall's first nap, I browned the beef and sausage with the onion and got the sauce simmering, plus I sliced the mozzarella
 - during his second nap, I soaked the noodles (instead of boiling the noodles, which can make them soggy in the final product, I soak them in hot water from the tap for about 20 minutes, which keeps them al dente)
 - after Marshall woke up, I had him hang out in his high chair near the kitchen while I assembled the lasagna (he didn't mind taste testing for me), and then I threw it in the oven

It came out all bubbly and perfectly browned on top, and I basked in its glory for a moment.





Marshall ate THREE servings, which was probably about 3/4 of how much I ate. That kid can EAT. We're still learning his hungry/full cues, because we're a little worried that he enjoys the act of eating so much that he won't stop if we keep giving him food. But at least we know he likes lasagna!

This week has been back to normal for the most part. Marshall and I went to My Gym (we had skipped two weeks because he was sick), and Terry even joined during his lunch hour!




Today after a busy morning, we headed out for a walk in a new area we haven't really explored, and Terry met us for lunch. I even jogged a little which turned out to be a good idea, because I somehow ended up with a frozen custard after lunch. As Joey says, "I'm not even sorry."


And finally, on Monday night I alluded to the fact that Marshall's routine is about to get disrupted. My friends all had their guesses about what I meant (okay, so two people casually asked about it), but the big news is...

We're moving!

Again.

It's all happening super quickly. (By the way, is that ever not the case? I mean, has anyone ever decided to move and then slowly proceeded to find a new place, without having to rush any step of the process? It's always just insanity, right?) So anyway, our situation is no different. We were very casually looking for apartments (and even considering buying a place) for a few weeks, and on Saturday I spotted a promising-looking place online. We booked an appointment to see the apartment on Sunday and ended up signing a lease on Monday. Talk about a crazy day!

Luckily, while the getting process felt insane, we now have a bit more time than we have for previous moves. Still, the next few weeks will be busy: Packing with an almost-one-year-old will have challenges we've never dealt with before (though I'm pretty convinced it'll be easier than moving at 30 weeks pregnant!). We've started loading up boxes, and I've been asking friends with babies who've moved for advice. As usual, Scout is thrilled with all the boxes, and Marshall seems oblivious so far. He's helped pack by dropping toys into empty boxes and/or handing them to me.

As for our new place, it does meet our most important must-have: a washer and dryer! In fact, there's an entire laundry room. I never dreamed we'd have our very own! (Well, to rent...but still.) We'll have a good amount of space, the location is super walkable, there's tons of natural light, and the place is full of fun character. We're excited about it, and we think Marshall will enjoy it, too!

And since it's just about Friday, some randomness for you:

This video about upstairs neighbors perfectly captures the essence of apartment living. Terry and I have spent years guessing what our neighbors are up to!

I have several weird pet peeves in the kitchen:

  • If the inside of my dish gloves get water in them. WORST feeling ever.
  • I hate crumbling sausage and chopping garlic. 
  • I really don't like being barefoot in the kitchen. I always end up stepping on crumbs or oil or water (and I'm pretty sure my kitchen floors aren't that gross) and it just makes me want to stop cooking and clean the floors. It's best if I wear socks or slippers.
  • I use as few dishes as possible, which often leads to more of a mess and hassle than just doing an extra dish now and then, so I guess in this case my pet peeve is myself.

Mother's Day is around the corner! Terry already told me I can sleep in that day, and I almost cried thinking about it, but then I got worried I'd be too excited to sleep. I'll probably be up by 6. Other ideas:
  • Make your mom breakfast, brunch, or any other meal. If your presence in the kitchen will stress her out, make a reservation to go to a restaurant.
  • Personalized necklaces and bracelets are super cute (check on Etsy). I got a "Marshall" necklace as a gift with his birth date and wear it all the time.
  • Take your mom somewhere special. I would enjoy going for a hike, going on a picnic, or going anywhere Marshall would enjoy, like the aquarium or the beach or the zoo (or Whole Foods, because he would enjoy that just as much).

This video of dogs annoying cats with their friendship reminds me of Marshall annoying Scout with his friendship.


Chipotle went GMO-free! Of course, there are always critics, but I think Chipotle has its head in the right place. (Let's just all be clear that GMO-free doesn't mean "healthy," and fast food should of course be enjoyed in moderation. Still, I'd argue that Chipotle is a much better option than a lot of other places out there.) By the way, Marshall and I celebrated this milestone with a little lunch there this week!

What's your favorite fast food option?

What are your kitchen pet peeves?

0 comments:

Post a Comment