Upper Body Supersets
Complete each set of exercises two or three times before moving to the next set. Aim for 10-15 reps of each exercise, keeping good form throughout.
- Lateral raises + Overhead press
- Biceps curls + Reverse biceps curls
- Dumbbell shoulder rotations + Front raises
- Bench dips + Tricep kickbacks
- Reverse flys + Bent over rows
- Push ups + Incline chest press
Pregnancy modifications for me:
- Very light weights
- Only two rounds of each superset
- 1-2 minute break between each set of exercises
- Push ups on knees
To increase the intensity:
- Use heavier weights (but remember to keep your form)
- Eliminate or reduce breaks
- Complete three or four rounds of each superset
- Try decline push ups
- Where possible, complete the exercises on one foot (challenges balance, engages core)
I thought I would also share with you a workout that I designed for Terry. He's done it twice now, and he really likes it. I will definitely add it to my routine once I'm back to my normal workouts!
Chest/Core/Back Drop Sets
Warm up first (after 5-10 minutes of moderate cardio)
- 15 push ups
- 15 dumbbell flys
- 15 dumbbell bent over rows
- 15 dumbbell reverse flys
- 25 crunches
For the workout, complete 3 sets of each exercise back to back with minimal rest/ Then move on to the next exercise. Your 3 sets should go like this:
- Heavy weight (exhaustion within 8-10 reps)
- Drop set one: Medium-heavy weight (exhaustion within 6-8 reps)
- Drop set two: Medium weight (exhaustion within 2-6 reps)
Here are the exercises*:
- Chest press
- Wide rows
- Chest flys
- Reverse flys
*You can use cables or dumbbells. Cables are a bit faster because you don't have to switch out your dumbbells or wait for someone else to finish with their workout.
Core series (complete 2-3 times):
So there you go! Pick your poison: a comprehensive, low-intensity upper body workout or a significantly more intense workout that focuses on just a few muscle groups. If you like the look of both, be sure to take at least one day off between them; give your muscles time to rest!
Hope you had a happy Monday!