Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Successes and Failures

Success
Last night I made (an admittedly simple) dinner and served it before 8 pm. It included homemade pesto, so I was proud.


Whole wheat pasta, shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, Parmesan, and pine nuts.

Failure
The dishes from that meal (and every meal, lately) sat in the sink for 24 hours before I finally tackled them today. The sink is currently empty and I am wondering if we can just eat out for the rest of the year week to avoid creating more dishes.

Success
Terry and I are going strong (three weeks in a row?) with our pledge to get out for a family workout once during the week. We actually went TWICE this week--on Monday night we took Marshall for a shorter walk in the Ergo and then yesterday we all went to the Strand for a walk and run.


Failure
I know I should celebrate the fact that I'm running again, so I guess you glass-half-full people can call it a success, but on the aforementioned run I jogged exactly one mile. I stopped twice. It took 11 minutes. Let's just say I have a long road ahead. 

Success
This adorable bundle is clearly exhibiting red hair. I could not be more thrilled. Since I was little I hoped to have redheaded children. (This dream sounds less strange when you learn that my brother is a redhead and had the most adorable orange hair as a kid. He was way cuter than I was.) 


Evidence:


Failure
I heard about this Mom-focused workout group called Stroller Strides. Have you heard of it? It sounds awesome--you bring your stroller (and your child, presumably), and the workout is catered to moms pushing a stroller and using light weights to complete a 60-minute workout. It's awesome all around, right? You get out of the house, you meet other moms, you get a workout, and you bring your kid. So I looked it up, found a FREE class literally two minutes from my apartment, and got all registered...and then didn't go. Honestly, I'm such a wimp about trying new stuff on my own. I get intimidated and nervous and then talk myself out of it. I hope that by writing about it on here I'll feel encouraged to go to the next one. I have no excuse, guys; there are multiple classes each week very near me, and you get to try your first class for free. What the hell am I waiting for? Someone hold me accountable, please.

Success
Despite my now-infamous (because I just told you about it) ability to procrastinate and actually get out and do things, I am proud to say that I've become very determined to get out of the house every day with Marshall. Non-parents: I realize this feat may not seem particularly impressive. Parents: Perhaps even you feel that getting out every day isn't so incredible. But I really struggle with the basic act of leaving my apartment every day because it's a HUGE hassle. Not just the packing up and getting Marshall ready; I have to carry a ridiculously heavy car seat + baby relatively far, and often we don't really have anywhere to go, so it's easy to put it off until suddenly it's almost time for Terry to come home. I love having appointments scheduled or lunch dates with friends because it forces me to leave the house. But lately I'm on a roll with leaving the house every day, including long walks with Marshall each day, and I'm really trying to keep that going. Otherwise we both go a little crazy around 4 pm, and no one needs a cranky mom and baby.


Success
It's not my success, but Marshall got me an awesome birthday gift: Two Weeks Notice. I love Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock, and I've been wanting to own this movie for years. Apparently I mentioned it enough times to convince Terry to buy it for me, so everyone wins.


Failure
Before each meal today, I thought, "I should take a photo of this for WIAW." And then I promptly ate the meal without photographing it. Because I am amazing. Oh, well. Check out the other people who did NOT fail in this category!


I could list so many more, but I haven't showered today and would love to do so before I fall asleep. Have a happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. That pesto looks so good! You should really go to that stroller fitness class! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete