Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WIAW for One

Today is WIAW, and I had the best of intentions for taking fabulous photos of my food throughout the day, but it just didn't happen. Mostly because I ate almost every snack in front of the classroom and in front of a bunch of students, and I thought it would be even weirder to bust out my phone to take pictures. So I only have a few pictures to share, but they'll have to do.

Check out the other WIAWs!

Breakfast: Made at home, sipped throughout first and second periods.


Smoothie with about a cup of frozen berries, a banana, a big scoop of Greek yogurt, a tablespoon or so of almond butter, a handful of oats, and apple juice. It filled the mason jar perfectly and kept me delightfully full until fourth period.

Morning snack: 1/2 whole wheat pita dipped in eggplant hummus from TJs.

Lunch: Eaten in two parts: half of a leftover sandwich from Whole Foods (turkey, cheese, avocado, spinach, and onion), and a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter and jelly

A few grapes here and there throughout the day

Dinner:


1/2 baked sweet potato topped with turkey chili, pepper jack cheese, avocado, and Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream). This combination was seriously phenomenal. I can't wait to eat it again for lunch tomorrow!

Dessert: Ice cream topped with chocolate chips! Perfect way to end the day. Would you believe I completely forgot to take a picture, even though I was halfway through with this post and knew I hadn't taken enough pictures? Well, believe it.


Tonight's dinner was a challenge, because it was the first of many I'll be eating on my own. Cooking for one is a bit of a struggle, especially when it seems to be easier and less expensive to buy and cook in bulk. I spent some time today planning out meals and grocery lists to ensure that I make well rounded meals (sometimes difficult when I don't have anyone to impress) and avoid impossible amounts of leftovers.

Tonight's meal still ended up being more than I expected, but I did my best. I cooked up a pound of ground turkey and added half an onion plus a green bell pepper.


Then I put half the turkey-veggie mixture into a Pyrex for another meal later this week and made my chili with the other half (added chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, and spices and let the whole thing simmer for about 15 minutes).


I baked two sweet potatoes and used half of one for tonight's meal. I'll use the other half for lunch leftovers tomorrow, and I assume the other sweet potato will become lunch another day (topped with peanut butter and cinnamon, of course).

Other meals I have on tap:
  • taco salad (using the other half of the ground turkey & veggies mixture)
  • chicken--I bought this one in "bulk" (three giant breasts) and I'll freeze at least one and throw the rest in the crock pot tomorrow with some chicken broth. Then I can shred the chicken and eat it in salads, wraps, maybe even a chicken salad.
  • breakfast for dinner--always a favorite and SO easy to make just one serving
  • soup--I can easily halve the recipe or freeze the leftovers
Luckily, I'm not one to get sick of leftovers too quickly, so I don't mind eating a meal twice or even three times. But I also tend to over-buy, so I really limited myself when I went to the store today to just what I need. 

Off to bed for another day of subbing tomorrow. Have a wonderful Halloween!

How are you celebrating the big day? I'm being an old crazy cat lady and staying home with my kitten. So what I do every night. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment