Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Another Attack of Baby Brain + WIAW

This morning, I thought to myself, "Wow, I've really had my act together lately. Maybe baby brain gets better throughout the pregnancy."

Guys, it does not.

Here's how today's incident of crazy went down: I couldn't find pasteurized blue cheese at Sprouts, so I set my cart aside to look more thoroughly. Couldn't find it, moved on. I then spent about five minutes perusing the meat section, trying to find sausage and beef. I thought for an unusual amount of time about where to stow the cart again because the meat section was so crowded. I grabbed the ground beef I needed.

And when I turned around, there was NO CART. I swear, I walked around for five more minutes searching for my cart. I thought I was going crazy. I almost asked the workers to help me. I looked in everyone else's cart to see if they had stolen mine. I would have just given it up, but I brought several of my favorite reusable bags. At some point, I guess I did give up because I was walking back to the entrance (maybe to get another cart?), and guess what was sitting by the cheese?

So the conclusion I've come to is that I stole someone else's cart after the cheese, and they were nice enough not to tell me but instead stole their cart back when they saw the opportunity.

And I've also concluded that I'm insane.

Let's move on to my less ridiculous moments today: eating. Somehow I usually manage to keep it together when food is involved.


Breakfast: blueberry pancakes and tea

Morning snack: plain Greek yogurt with half a banana, a big scoop of peanut butter, and honey

More snacks: dried fruit from TJs. I'm so impressed with these two options because they contain only the fruit (one ingredient!), no sulfur or sugar.


Lunch: leftover Crunchy Vegetable Sesame Noodle Salad from Daily Garnish


I have made this recipe about three times now and love it. It's perfect to eat hot, cold, or at room temperature. It'll be awesome in the summer or for tailgating in the fall. But I also usually make lots of changes because I don't have some of the ingredients Emily uses. Here's what I do for the dressing:

  • 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • Juice of 1 lemon or 1/2 orange or 2 Mandarin oranges
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • (Terry adds hot sauce to his)
For the rest of the dish, everything is as Emily suggests, but I've used Trader Joe's broccoli slaw instead of the cabbage and carrots. I also love that we get LOTS of leftovers! At least three meals per person in this house, which is a TON for us. 

Okay, next up was a bowl and a half of cereal (a combo of the two pictured below).



Terry and I took about 45 minutes to get some exercise when he got home from work:

  • 3 minutes walking
  • 5 minutes jogging
  • Repeat 5 times, plus a few more minutes walking to get back to our place
And dinner was already set to go! We made Lisa's Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot, and I'm eager for the broth I'll make overnight tonight so we can have soup in the coming weeks!



And for dessert, we're about to enjoy some almond butter brownies. I made them last night to try something different, but I actually feel like they're more "blondies" than "brownies" (how did Vani's turn out so dark?). Still, they have some protein and tasted great, so we'll have those with some milk to keep us satisfied overnight!

Hope you had a delicious day, too, and I hope yours didn't involve losing your shopping cart. Seriously, who does that? 

2 comments:

  1. That has totally happened to me too! I stole someone's cart without realizing it and then walked around like crazy when I couldn't find "my" shopping cart. I was getting mad until I realized that I was the one who goofed up. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I had some crazy moments, just like that!

    ReplyDelete