Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A (Terrible) Night at the Theater

Miss me yesterday? I desperately needed to get to sleep early, so I hit the sack around 10, but of course I slept terribly. Oh, well, such is life. Let's get caught up.

Sunday night's dinner: [photos to come...later...]

Fish Tacos
Serves 2-4, depending on the size of your fish

For the fish:
  • Wild white fish filet, such as halibut
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ tablespoon butter

For the tacos:
  • Corn tortillas
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Fresh tomatoes, diced
  • Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • Yogurt sauce (see below)

For the yogurt sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon sour cream
  • ½ teaspoon dill (more if using fresh dill)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • Juice from ½ lemon

To cook the fish, heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season one side of the fish with salt and pepper, then place (seasoned side down) the fish in the pan. Season the other side with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes on each side, until the fish is cooked through and flaky.

To make the yogurt sauce, whisk all ingredients together. To assemble the tacos, heat the corn tortillas, then top with fish, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and yogurt sauce. Enjoy with grilled vegetables and cerveza!

These tacos rocked! We love Wahoo’s Fish Tacos, but these are an excellent at-home version. We bought our halibut at Costco, so it was affordable and there were plenty of leftovers. 




Last night's workout:


Tonight's dinner at Pinot Grille (a little stand outside the Ahmanson Theater in downtown LA, where we saw Follies tonight):

Veggie sandwich for me

Burger for Terry

The food was quite good, and corkage for our bottle of wine was free! Hallelujah! But we also noticed a lot of folks had just brought their own food, which seemed much more fun (not to mention healthier and more affordable). As I mentioned Sunday, we're heading back to the same area on Friday to see Swan Lake, so we've already decided to bring another bottle of wine and our own little picnic.

The play was only okay. I had never seen it before, but I wasn't a fan of the music (not sing-along music, that's for sure...but I sang every song on the radio on the way home to make up for it). We also thought the scene in "Loveland" was weird. But it seemed as though the audience was really into it; they applauded as each character made her entrance and got me all excited. We were extremely impressed by the talent of the actors and actresses and thought the singing was brilliant. But the show as a whole left us feeling underwhelmed.

Part of our terrible experience was the fact that everyone around us was being extremely rude. The guy to my right wouldn't stop talking (not even in a whisper!), the two ladies behind us had obviously enjoyed too much pinot at Pinot Grille and laughed uncontrollably through about 15 minutes of the show, and someone's phone actually rang. Not only that; they didn't shut it off once it started ringing. Terry even admitted it was the worst theater going experience of his life.

Tomorrow is the second to last day of school. Very bittersweet, but I'm excited to have lunch with two of my coworkers to celebrate the end of the year.  I hope you enjoy an excellent Wednesday!

Are you a theater fan? What's your favorite live show? 
Hands down, my favorite in-theater show is Les Miserables. Terry and I saw it in London on our honeymoon and were brought to tears because the singing was so beautiful.



4 comments:

  1. How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying or Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les Miserables is my absolute FAVORITE musical!! I cannot wait for the movie and I really hope they do it justice! Although I have to admit, I REALLY want to see Book of Mormon after listening to the soundtrack 100 times. It just seems so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH I want to see Book of Mormon too! But it's SO expensive right now...

      Delete