Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's Dangerous

In June, I completed my third full year as a high school teacher. After my first year, I had foot surgery (you can read about my surgery in The Story of My Surgery Part I and Part II), so summer consisted of recovering on the couch and hobbling around on crutches. My second summer was our amazing wedding and honeymoon, which was obviously incredible but not a typical summer. Therefore, this summer is my first real, regular summer as a teacher. 



And so far, I'm lovin' it!

I have a lot of flexibility in my days, but I try to keep a certain momentum going so I stay productive. I've learned that if I let myself "take a break" on the couch for a bit, I get sucked in to the charcoal gray vortex of comfort and hypnotizing effects of daytime television. While I appreciate the time off from work to rest and prepare for the upcoming school year, I am also excited to use this summer to do things I wouldn't normally do in the school year, like my summer bucket list. Today, for example, I did some reading (more on that later), put away yesterday's laundry, thoroughly cleaned out the fridge,

Before

After

Before

After

(I took out all the drawers and shelves, washed them, wiped down all the interior surfaces, threw out expired products, and reorganized the foods that survived the process)

played with the cat, baked cookies (recipe from Brown Eyed Bakerdid dishes, took out the trash and recycling, and prepped tonight's meal. The benefit of summer is that I got to take breaks when I wanted, watch TV while working, and read my favorite blogs.

One problem with summer? I tend to gravitate toward channels like HGTV and The Food Network. Today, as my Facebook followers know, Ina Garten showed me how important it is to have an ice cream maker. I resisted purchasing one (honestly, though, if the store was closer and the price was a little lower...). Today I also discovered the Bravo TV show Pregnant in Heels. It's all very dangerous, so I have to distract myself with more projects.

When Terry got home today, we were both seriously dreading our 5-mile run. We're both still tired and sore from this weekend's activities, so we agreed to take it very easy on this one. Usually, when we agree to take it easy, one or both of us ends up still pushing it and running the whole time, maintaining our usual pace. Today, however, we really mellowed out: We walked a lot and ran at a conversational pace. It was wonderful. I mean, it was difficult and tiring, but it wasn't grueling like we thought it would be.

Now I have a date with those cookies I mentioned, as well as my foam roller. Hope you have a great Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. i am a teacher too and i try to give myself at least one thing that i need to do during the day to make myself feel productive. luckily i'm marathon training, so a lot of times training runs are my one thing. those cookies look awesome, i hope they tasted as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for teachers! :-) I try to do the same--at least one thing so that I can have something to show for my day.

      Oh man those cookies were phenomenal! I only made a half batch and am seriously regretting it now.

      Delete
  2. haha, i think ina garten has a point - we LOVE our ice cream maker! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me. Terry would NOT be happy if we have to squeeze yet another appliance in our cupboards!

      Delete
  3. Ah Ina is my favorite! And so persuasive haha. Your fridge looks amazing, I am a sucker for organization and that picture makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Ina! She's amazing. I would love to have her kitchen--and recipes. I'm a sucker for organization, too, just wish I could do it more!

      Delete