Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Bucket List and The Simply Bar

Good morning! Since I'm on summer break and don't start teaching again until August, I have several weeks to prepare for my new job, get things organized around our apartment, and gear up for the start of the insanity again. Yesterday I made a huge list (you know I love my lists) of my plans for the summer. Since we live in a small apartment, it's important that we keep things organized and clutter-free, which is not an easy task when things get busy. By getting organized this summer, we'll be much more likely to stay on track throughout the year.

I also started brainstorming a Summer Bucket List, which I mentioned awhile ago but never actually wrote. Well, I suppose July 11 is as good a time as any to get things started!

Summer Bucket List

  • Take at least one cooking class and one baking class
  • Go on one more little getaway with Terry--Seattle? San Diego? Portland? Solvang?
  • Use my YogaWorks Groupon deal
  • Use our CrossFit Groupon deal
  • Run our half marathon (technically it's Labor Day, after school has started, but I'll count it here)
  • Become certified as Emergency First Response instructors 
  • Read one book per week--currently reading 50 Shades of Gray and not loving it
  • See Magic Mike with Jenn
  • Participate in Tina's Best Body Boot Camp

I'm sure I'll add lots to this list as summer goes on, but I had to start somewhere!

The Simply Bar


I'm sure you remember my little adventure to Boulder, CO, in May, where I attended BLEND Retreat. Well, during our beautiful hike, we were treated to The Simply Bar, protein bars that are much closer to real ingredients than almost every bar I've seen. We all snacked on them during the hike and at the top, and they were true lifesavers. The bar gave us just enough energy to get us through the rest of the hike back down and had some good flavor, too.

BLEND Participants scrambling for our samples!

Hiking fuel


Since then, the company sent me four flavors to try: Lemon Coconut, Caramel Peanut, Cinnamon Pecan, and Peanut Butter Chocolate. I'm not big on bars--as you know, I like my snacks to be homemade whenever possible--but there is a place for bars in any lifestyle. They're quick, convenient, and easy to toss in my purse if I'm not sure how long I'll be out. Well, next time I need a bar, The Simply Bar will certainly be on my short list of options. 


For those interested in nutritional stats, The Simply Bar contains 16 grams of protein, around 150 calories, 4 grams of fiber, and only 3 grams of sugar. They're also vegan, kosher, and milk and gluten free.

As I mentioned, the ingredient list is much shorter than what you see on most bars, and that's always a big priority for me. I love the variety in flavors, too! I liked the Peanut Butter Chocolate right away (obviously that was the one I grabbed for the hike), as well as the Caramel Peanut. Terry suggested trying the Lemon Coconut with my tea, which was awesome! But my favorite was the Cinnamon Pecan. There is SO much cinnamon flavor!



Even better news: The company has agreed to allow me to host a giveaway of The Simply Bar! Be on the lookout for the announcement!





Full Disclosure: I received a pack of The Simply Bar to try and review, but all opinions are 100% my own.

1 comment:

  1. I love your bucket list! I want to take a cooking class as well.

    I'm new to your blog and I love it!

    melavond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete