Monday, April 15, 2013

More Good

Tonight was supposed to be my "I'm back" post, all about my weekend and what I've neglected to post  over the last several days. But the events of today's Boston Marathon overshadow any trivial events I may have discussed here, and I hope you don't mind one more irregular day on here.

After school today, another teacher and I commiserated about the lack of humanity in the world and how tragic these events are. We discussed how difficult it is to teach teenagers about peace and tolerance and justice when the real world sets such devastating examples.

But then I can't help but think about all the good. There is so much good. As easy as it is for me to feel disappointed, heartbroken, jaded, pessimistic--I still can't help seeing the good.

Events like these, while difficult to digest and impossible to understand, bring out the best in some people. We see unlikely heroes, strangers comforting strangers, and neighborly compassion. I want to focus on that part, and I think I naturally gravitate toward those stories. Whenever there is a tragedy I find myself asking about the first responders, the police officers, the paramedics, the fire fighters. I wonder about the people who don't know anything about first aid but tried to find a way to help anyway. I think about the messages pouring in from across the world to show support for the victims.

I'm sad to say that these events will likely continue to happen and that the world is far from achieving peace. But I also know that there are still more good people than bad and that the good people will prevail. Meanwhile, I'm praying for the city of Boston, for the heroes and the victims and the runners and the good people who will outweigh the bad in this world.

Edited to add: If you're looking for some good, check out this article.

1 comment: