Monday, October 15, 2012

Greek Pita Bites

Well happy Monday to you! I can't believe how quickly this weekend (<-- check out our 5K City to the Sea recap!) passed, and I feel a little unprepared for the week, but I guess surviving Monday means we're on the right track. 

After work and some studying, Terry and I hopped on some treadmills and got to work on a quick workout from Gina. I'm glad we at least managed to get our cardio in, because the rest of the night has zoomed by, and I'll be moving my upper body workout to tomorrow. Laundry, dinner, and some school work sucked up most of the night. Does anyone else think we need to find a way to insert two extra hours into the day?
After completing Gina's HallowLEAN Hill Workout today


Last week, I promised a new appetizer recipe, and you know I (almost) always deliver on my promises. Without further ado...



Greek Pita Bites
Serves 12, two per person
  • One package mini whole wheat pita pockets (I bought mine at Trader Joe's) - can also be made with large pitas cut into triangles
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Hummus of your choice (we used eggplant hummus, also from TJ's)
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 block (4 ounces) feta cheese
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush or lightly spray (with a Misto, perhaps) both sides of the mini pitas with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Spread the mini pitas on a baking sheet, and bake about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool and crisp up.

To serve, top each mini pita or pita triangle with hummus, two slices of cucumber, feta cheese, and red onion. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!



So simple! Note: These bites likely wouldn't keep well once made, so you can also set up a little serving station.



This way, your guests can add their own toppings, and you can easily store any leftovers. You could also use chopped Kalamata olives for toppings.

I believe I also mentioned a new workout that Terry and I completed last Friday. It was a good one with a variety of speeds, so I definitely recommend it. You can adapt it for walking or a mix of running and walking. You could even do hills instead of increasing speed. Endless possibilities!


Sweaty and fun, especially with my favorite workout buddy.

And I leave you tonight with a little love for my favorite baseball team. Giants are 1-1, and Scout's rooting them on! (He likes to watch the baseball fly around on the TV; it's pretty hilarious.)


GO GIANTS!!!

3 comments:

  1. i definitely wouldn't mind an extra two hours but i know i'd just find more things to fill it up and probably wouldn't use it for what i actually need - sleep! those pita bites look amazing. i am obsessed with feta lately so i'm adding those to my "make for a party" list immediately. now i just need a party to go to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the appetizer recipe! Thanks for sharing it girl. You rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm those look good. I always love me some feta.

    ReplyDelete