Monday, October 29, 2012

Perspective

Today I'd like to thank Superstorm/Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy for providing a bit of Perspective for me. Here's how my morning went:

  • Dropped the honey jar on my cup of tea, spilled the tea all over the counter.
  • Forgot (until about 6:20 am) that I was supposed to do crock pot chicken for dinner and had to scramble to make it happen.
Not entirely unsuccessful
(tonight's dinner: chicken breast,
roasted Brussels sprouts, pumpkin muffin,
and cottage cheese)
  • Learned that if I spill tea when it's been steeping for a few minutes, I should just start over instead of assuming the same tea bag will still suffice. (It tasted like maple water.)
  • Dealt with grumpy, argumentative teenagers in two of my classes, which made me feel quite grumpy and argumentative myself.
And then I got home and saw my Facebook page (forgive the unintended pun) flooded with pictures of the storm on the East Coast. I couldn't help but realize that my day--with all its functioning power, normal traffic, sunny weather, and petty problems--could have been much, much worse. 

So on that note, I wish a very safe night to all those in the path of the storm, and I hope it's a quick return to normalcy. 

Another aspect of my day that helped provide perspective is the awesome Boot Camp workout I completed this evening with Terry. We hit the gym but had to split up (how much can you really "split up" in a 20-foot-by-15-foot gym?); I did my treadmill intervals (Julie is doing Best Body Boot Camp, too) first and Terry tackled the weights. We agreed that the hardest exercise today was the scorpion. I will feel that one tomorrow!

The workout took an hour total, which is always my favorite length of a workout. Tina nailed it with workout lengths; she always gets to right around one hour, and I love it! 25-30 minutes on weights and 30-35 minutes on cardio is the dream range for me. 

  • No snooze button: Success! (Sorta!) I didn't hit the snooze, but I also didn't get up right away. I set my alarm for 5:00 (why?!), then turned off my alarm and negotiated with myself for about 25 minutes before finally dragging myself outta bed. It's times like this when I have to ask myself: Why did we buy such a comfortable mattress?!
  • Morning workout: Probably on Thursday. I'm not excited, but I will do it.
And I shall leave you with a collage of my little guy playing on our pumpkins. 
We carve them tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Awe Julie, your cat is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your cat may be mad about the carving! taking his perch! I agree, this storm has put a lot in perspective for me as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. This storm has just blown my mind. And I'm so thankful that my friends and family on the East Coast are all safe!

    ReplyDelete