Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hollywood Bowl and Admitting Defeat

Today Terry and I both cashed in on our anniversary gifts to each other! Terry bought me a gift card to Bliss Spa, so I walked over today for a massage before lunch. Helloooooo heaven! I like the Blissage because they use heated tables and a signature foot wrap that makes you melt.

Today felt like the perfect time to take advantage of the spa because I've actually been in quite a bit of pain lately. On Saturday my neck stiffened up throughout the day, and it hasn't loosened up since. Similarly, my left hip/glute/hip flexor/lower back (so...my entire left middle?) has been in agony for some reason. The last time it felt good was on my run last Wednesday, so I assume I must have tweaked it or something, but I don't remember feeling anything that day.

I really struggle with pain like this. I usually just try to avoid overworking any painful area, but these two areas really limit my options. I've tried to stick with long walks and yoga the last few days, and now I think I need to admit defeat. Even after the massage, TONS of foam rolling (I now have extremely disdainful feelings toward tennis balls), liberal applications of IcyHot, cuddling with the heating pad, soaking in the hot tub...I'm still hurting. So I guess I need to take a few full days of rest, and if it still hurts I'll check it out at the doctor. Booooo...

I've said it before, but injuries seriously bum me out. Clearly my body needs rest and recovery, but I just don't feel like myself without some activity. And poor Terry--I get super grumpy if I skip even one day of workouts. Because I'm lacking my endorphins! And, as Elle Woods says, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. They just don't!"

Source: Google Images

In this house, if I skip a meal or skip a workout, things get ugly. Here's hoping I can find a way to make a few days of rest work.

Terry also cashed in his gift today: tickets to "The Rite of Spring" at the Hollywood Bowl! We've gone once before, even prior to our wedding. We brought a picnic again: Last night, Terry grilled up the rest of the bison tri-tip that we made last week, and we saved the leftovers for tonight. I prepped the sandwiches ahead of time, and we enjoyed a scrumptious picnic of hearty sandwiches, cantaloupe, and champagne, plus coconut macaroons for dessert. We sat with two ladies who are Bowl regulars and talked about travel, theater, and Los Angeles.

The show itself turned out to be completely captivating, even for me. I never played an instrument and don't really know anything about classical music. Of course, I used to hear it in my ballet classes, but I guess I was always focused on the steps because none of the music stuck with me. But tonight's show grabbed me; I think it was the adorable conductor, an adorable older gentleman who threw his arms around like a twenty-year-old. After two hours, he must have been exhausted!



My handsome date :-) 


Oh, and we saw a shooting star during the show! I actually don't think I've ever seen a shooting star in LA before. Several audience members saw it, too, and we all pointed it out to each other. Pretty cool, huh?

Hope you have a lovely Wednesday! I'll be back with a WIAW!

Of Possible Interest:

4 comments:

  1. and now I wanna get out my clarinet and play play play (perhaps I can trigger a shooting star too? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major bummer about your hip/back :( I have been dealing with my pelvis being out of alignment due to pregnancy, baby growing, and working out. My yoga instructor gave me some specific poses to do since it's my low back/hip area and they've helped a lot. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the injury thing; I'm currently dealing with Achilles tendonitis which is keeping me from enjoying some of my favourite activities!

    Something I've learned (after too many exercise-related injuries)? Get to a physiotherapist immediately! The sooner I get treatment for minor injuries, the sooner I'm back to the gym. Left to languish, something else always ends up hurting due to compensation...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my endorphins! THey really do miracles - I would be a crab if I didn't have them! lol!

    ReplyDelete