Sunday, September 14, 2014

San Diego and Eight Random Things

Oops! Sorry about that radio silence. Some weeks just get a little hectic. Last week, Terry and I took a short trip to San Diego. He had to work down there for three days, so I decided Marshall and I should tag along. We didn't spend much time with Terry, but it was a nice change of scenery for me and actually cooler than our apartment, so there you go. A quick little recap of our trip:

I discovered that Ross (and likely Marshalls and TJ Maxx) sells Dr. Seuss books. We're adding to our collection! I also loved Go, Dog. Go! when I was a kid, so we grabbed one of those. 

They also sell Carter's clothes, which seem to fit Marshall the best. We stocked up on a few 12 month outfits (which will fit him any day now).

So true.

I also did a little shopping for myself. Once I packed away all my maternity clothes several weeks ago, I realized my closet was looking pretty sad. Problem solved. (The slippers are to walk around the house, since I'm not supposed to walk around barefoot and it's too hot to wear my other slippers.)

I found a three-level Target. This was a new experience.

Marshall and I took a few walks. One morning, after we dropped Terry at work, we looped the area around our hotel and stumbled across this lovely view. San Diego really is nice!

On that same walk, I stopped in at a cafe for my first-ever sit-down meal with just me and Marshall. I had a not-especially-delicious Belgian waffle with one piece of bacon and one egg. 

Another day I trekked about a half hour south of our hotel to try Tiki Port, which came highly recommended by Gina, one of my favorite bloggers. Gina recently moved to SD, and we tried to meet up, but it didn't work out. The acai bowl at Tiki Port, however, was awesome! Obviously I got the only one that had chocolate chips. 

The trip was pretty decent, considering Terry had to work so much, but we were also glad to be back home for this weekend. We spent almost the entire day cleaning house and running errands yesterday, and then Jenn and Justin came over to watch the UCLA game. We played Texas, and it wasn't pretty, but we won. And Jerry Neuheisel got to be the hero of the game!

And now, here are a few random things that I'm squeezing into this post because I was such a loser about blogging last week:

1. Today Terry and I decided to wake up and actually get up when Marshall woke us at 7. Sometimes on weekends one of us will get up with the baby and the other will grab another hour or two of sleep, but today we opted for exercise. We chowed down on toast with almond butter and honey and shared an apple before heading to the Strand. We parked in the middle, walked to one end, ran the whole damn thing (okay, I stopped for a walking break about halfway, but Terry ran the whole damn thing!), then walked back to the car. It was difficult and refreshing and fun to be out with all the early birds on a gorgeous morning. Plus, we logged four and a half miles, and it's nice to know I can survive that far.

2. Right now I'm home alone. This is my first time alone in our apartment for longer than 30 minutes since Marshall was born. Terry needed some quality time with the baby and I needed some time to myself, so here we are. I can't wait for them to get back. :-)

3. I'm finding more and more ways to process my C-section. I joined the ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) Facebook group and am hoping to connect with a local chapter. The Facebook group alone has been tremendously helpful. It's comforting to know other people have gone through something similar to what we did. I've talked to a lot of friends and friends of friends who have experienced a C-section, and that helps too. I'll be sure to provide an update as I make more progress.

4. Last weekend we attended our last wedding of the summer--and Marshall got to come along! It was a day wedding (starting at 3 pm), so it worked out well. Marshall seemed to get a little overwhelmed by all the people, but he did great. And he got to wear a bow tie like his daddy.

The wedding took place in Cayucos at a private home. The ceremony took place overlooking the ocean--absolutely perfect!

5. Terry and I are participating in a couples' Fantasy Football league. I have no business being part of anything related to any professional sports, but I took my brother's advice and created a pretty decent team. I will let you know if I dominate, but I already forgot to swap out players last week, so things don't look great.

6. We've been slacking big time around here as far as healthy meals and planning ahead for groceries. Today we created our meal plan for the week to get things going on a healthier note:
  • Sunday: bruschetta and salad 
  • Monday: our favorite stir-fry pasta dish (so easy and quick!)
  • Tuesday: kielbasa and potatoes on the grill
  • Wednesday: grilled veggie kababs with goat cheese and pita
  • Thursday: pizza with goat cheese, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, etc.
  • Friday: something with shrimp 
Lunches will be leftovers and sandwiches, and breakfasts will be oatmeal or eggs (or toast with almond butter and honey, because that was amazing this morning). 

7. A while ago, we went to UCLA as a family, and I never bothered to upload the photos. 




8. Can you believe it's already the middle of September? This year is really zooming along, huh? The holidays are right around the corner. I can't imagine how different things will be this year with an infant! But the great news about September is TV shows are coming back! I'm most excited for The Mindy Project, New Girl, and Parks & Rec, but I'm sure there are a few more I've completely forgotten. 

What TV shows are you most excited to watch?

What's your favorite Facebook page to follow? I love George Takei's posts! 


Do you prefer almond butter or peanut butter? I'm a peanut butter girl all the way, but almond butter always tastes better than I think it will. You'd think I'd learn.

Have a great week! I promise I'll be back before next week this time. :-) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment