Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Running Workout and Soup Galore

When the entire house woke up before 5:30 this morning, I worried what the day might bring. Exhaustion? Certainly. Cranky toddler (and mama)? Almost guaranteed. Lots of outings to distract said toddler (and mama)? You bet.

I did not, however, expect to enjoy a few really fun moments, some solid time alone in the kitchen to cook a full meal, and a great workout with the whole family. It's nice to get surprises like that on a random Wednesday.

The really fun moments came in waves throughout the morning and afternoon when Marshall had pushed all my buttons and was about to drive me insane. He has been rather fussy lately, and I don't deal well with fussy, but I decided to just take a breath and try to make the most of it, so we played. We practiced walking from one wall to another wall (he thought this game was hilarious). We rolled the big yoga ball back and forth. We read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom 83 times. And then we headed out for a long walk to the store and back. And wouldn't you know it--we had a lot of fun. Sure, my sink is currently overflowing with dishes right now because I didn't tackle them throughout the day, but it was worth it today.

Our workout this afternoon was a spin on one of my very favorite workouts of all time. We don't have access to a treadmill anymore, so we grabbed the running stroller and hit the road; our workout looked like this:

- Walk 5 minutes
- Jog 5 minutes
- 25 walking lunges

- Walk 4 minutes
- Jog 4 minutes
- 25 walking lunges

- Repeat with 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute (we stopped the lunges after 4 sets, for a total of 100 lunges)

--> 30 minutes total, not counting the lunges

It was a great way to enjoy this cooler weather and to challenge our muscles, and Marshall always seems happy as a clam in his stroller. My legs are already pretty sore despite lots of stretching tonight!


And when we came home, Terry and Marshall headed to Marshall's room to play while I turned on some music in the kitchen to make dinner: Ina's Easy Tomato Soup with grilled cheese croutons (she gave me the idea, but I made the grilled cheese with Manchego and pepper jack cheeses, and I regret nothing), plus sauteed green beans on the side.



Marshall ate a full serving of soup, probably half a grilled cheese sandwich, and a couple of green beans, plus milk. I'd call that meal a success! I'm already looking forward to tons of soups this winter since Marshall loves them so much--and they're now some of my favorite foods!

Here are some of my favorite soups (I highly recommend making homemade chicken stock and freezing it---it's easier than it sounds and it changed my entire perspective on soup!):

- Winter Minestrone with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Curry Condiments -- probably our favorite soup ever!
- Pappa al Pomodoro - comfort food at its finest


A few other notes...

Did you watch Mindy Project last night? I thought the first episode was hilarious. JGL did great as a guest star!

I loved this post from Pregnant Chicken: To My Pregnant Sister (Because I Scared the Sh*t Out of Her). Lots of it rang true for me, especially:
"...the hardest part of all was the reality setting in that life was never going to be the same. That I was a mum now and nothing was going to change that. I couldn't go back.
But I eventually realized, I don't want to go back. Every day I learn something new from this little person. Every day I understand myself as a growing human better and more fully. Every day things get easier, and harder, and that's ok because I made it this far and I can keep going. Helping this baby live and grow is such a selfless crazy experience and it makes my heart swell with pride every day at least once."

 I'm just now realizing that I only have one photo on this whole post, but it's 10:30 and time for bed. More tomorrow!

Have a wonderful Thursday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment