Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Do I Have To?

After several days of not sleeping well, a busy day at work, a 75-minute commute home, and cleaning up the kitchen from last night, all I could think when faced with today's workout plan was, "Do I have to?"

Yes, I do have to. And I did.
For a video demonstration of star jumps, visit this link.

I also cranked out a whopping ten minutes on the elliptical and called it a day. Luckily, Hal's half marathon training plan had us running only two miles today, so I didn't feel super guilty. For a more intense workout, I would definitely do this strength series again and repeat it, plus more cardio. You can also modify the planks by doing less time but more reps (instead of 1 full minute, do 4 x 15 seconds). I also ran around with the cat, which I won't actually count as cardio but definitely felt like it. 

For dinner, my husband met his brother downtown, so I was on my own. I'm definitely getting used to cooking for one around here! I made enough for each of us to take leftovers for lunch tomorrow, but I resorted to my usual sauteed veggies + marinara sauce + whole wheat pasta.

Sauteing the vegetables
 I combined the following: 1/2 onion, 2/3 red bell pepper, 1 yellow squash, 2 zucchini squash, 2 ounces fresh spinach. Sauteed for about 8 minutes, then added about a cup of marinara sauce, 1/4 cup red wine, and about 3 ounces mozzarella cheese. Served on top of whole wheat rotini, it was delicious!


I normally don't measure my servings, but I did tonight. Exactly 1/2 cup cooked pasta plus 1 1/2 cups vegetables/sauce/cheese. Speaking of which, here's my WIAW!


Certainly an improvement over last week's WIAW. :-) But I think I could use some more protein here. I didn't have eggs or meat or nuts (other than peanut butter), my usual go-tos for protein. Always room for improvement. Especially with bikini season around the corner, right? (Two weeks until our trip to Hawaii!)

Here are the links for the PB & J Squares and Salted Triple Chocolate Cookies, if you're interested. Also, you can check out more WIAWs from other bloggers here!


2 comments:

  1. I found this workout on Pinterest and did it this morning after a 4 mile run and it KICKED BUTT! I'm posting it on my blog for WIAW and linking it back to your site. Thanks for the inspiration! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! And thanks for the shout out! :-)

      Delete