Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Learning About Our New Place and WIAW

Today flew! I spent almost the entire day working on the apartment. We've already been here for a month, but we're still learning a few things, like:

  • The whole place is quite dusty. Every few days I notice a thin layer of dust on all the smooth surfaces.
  • Scout seems to shed a lot more here. We bought a pet fur scraper thing to help save the couch.
  • More wall space is not necessarily a motivating factor in getting us to actually finish hanging all our frames, but we're slowly getting there.
  • We had to buy two nightlights because the apartment gets so dark at night, and I walk around more than I used to in the middle of the night. Instead of turning on all the lights and waking myself up more, the nightlight provides just enough to get me where I need to go, which is occasionally the fridge at 2 am.
  • While this space is almost twice the size of our last place, we're finding some aspects that are actually less spacious--like storage for our glassware. We've had all our wine glasses sitting out on the counter since we moved in, and I haven't yet found a wine glass rack that will work in the space. The hunt continues...
  • We have basically no insulation, so extreme heat may be a bit of a struggle this summer. Wonder how that'll go with a newborn...

But overall we really like our new place and are feeling mostly settled in!

And now for some WIAW action. I completely forgot it was Wednesday until my third meal of the day, so the pictures are a bit scarce today.

Breakfast - oatmeal with a splash of milk and maple syrup, plus a scoop of peanut butter

Snack - Plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter and honey

Lunch #1 - a fried egg over greens with some cheese and turkey (I'm working on that protein!), plus a glass of milk


Lunch #2 - a bean and cheese burrito in a whole wheat tortilla (leftovers from last night)


And a tiny orange a little later (Mandarin? Cutie? Are they all the same?)

Honestly, I could not stop thinking about sweets ALL day. I was craving cookies, ice cream with sprinkles (specifically frozen custard from Anderson's in Buffalo...obviously), anything chocolate. It's a good thing we didn't have any of those items on hand and it was way too hot to bake!

Tonight's dinner was another slow cooker meal. This time we made pulled pork using Lisa's recipe, served with homemade biscuits (Terry says these are the best I've ever made, which I think can be attributed to the Kerrygold butter), and a big green salad.


And for dessert we shared the last (so sad) of the cake from our baby shower. I'm already scheming up ways to get my hands on more of that cake. Hopefully my parents will host a housewarming party sometime soon...


Hope it was a delicious day for you, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment