Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Pilates-Inspired Lower Body Workout

This week has felt so strange to me. I've had my head buried in a book (The Girl on the Train--a total page turner and one I'd recommend), so maybe that has contributed to feeling a little out of sorts. Yesterday I drove about 15 minutes south on the 405 before I realized I was heading away from home. (Just when you think you know a place after living there for 12 years, huh?) Pretty embarrassing, but if you read this blog you know I'm most certainly anything but perfect.

Today is Wednesday, according to my calendar, but it feels like Tuesday. Last week I had the same problem. Luckily Terry has been around a lot this week (still on jury duty), so he's helping his poor, hopeless wife.

Today we all carpooled down to the South Bay; I dropped Terry at the courthouse and then Marshall and I headed to his new class at My Gym (his first time in the 14 month and up class). I like that there are fewer people, and I think observing and meeting some slightly older kids will be great for M. We had fun today anyway, so I'm looking forward to those adventures.


Car picnic!


Terry gets a long lunch break for jury duty, but usually it's during Marshall's nap, so we can't come down to visit. But today Marshall crashed in the car (I assumed he would, since his class ended at 11ish and he has been going down at 10:45 lately), so I picked up Ter and we grabbed Chipotle while Marshall snoozed. Once he was back to court, M and I hit up the park, a notary (finally getting Marshall's birth certificate), and the grocery store for a few essentials. We stopped at The Container Store (for fun?), and Marshall played with this drawer longer than he's ever played with any toy in our house.




Finally, we all went to Islands for dinner, which I'll share more about tomorrow, but there's a sneak peak on Instagram. It was a bit of a long day for Marshall, since his nap in the car wasn't nearly as good as one at home AND we were out past bedtime, but he did great!

Once we made it home, Terry whisked Marshall off to his bath and I got ready for another at-home strength workout. I have been loving some quality time with my weights (or bodyweight, as you'll see below) lately! 

It's been a while since I've posted a full workout, mostly because I'm just doing whatever feels good in the moment when I work out. But I wrote down Monday night's workout before I did it and it turned out to be a doozy, so I thought you might like to try it at home.

Here's the deal:

- It's a no-equipment workout (stopwatch and yoga mat optional).
- It's super low impact, so it's perfect if you're recovering from an injury, not feeling up to intense cardio/weights, or taking it semi-easy after a tough workout lately.
- I did it while watching TV, so that's an option. :-) Seriously, though, it's excellent if your situation is like mine: no gym membership, not always easy to get out of the house for a workout, and sometimes choosing to work out after dinner with a full belly.

Enjoy!

(By the way, this workout is longer than my usual 20-30 minute ones, but you have the option of cutting it in half by not repeating each section. I just recommend the longer one because it really got my booty burning!)

Pilates-Inspired Lower Body Workout



 

*For the Fire Hydrant and Donkey Kicks, complete the full exercises for 30 seconds and then complete pulses for 30 seconds.


Images for exercises:
Clams

Extended Side Leg Lifts


Inner Thigh Leg Lifts


Side Leg Circles
Calf Raises


Plie Squat Pulses

Fire Hydrant


Donkey Kicks


Happy Thursday (right?) to you!


Sources for images:
Clam
Side leg raises
Inner thigh lifts
Side leg circles
Calf raises
Plie squat pulses
Fire hydrant
Donkey kicks

1 comment:

  1. My legs are sore just looking at this!! LOL! Looks like a good one for when you don't have much time or equipment around! Going on vaca so I'll stash this for then :)
    xx
    -Liz
    www,TheCleanEatingCouple.com

    ReplyDelete