This week had me in a bit of a tizzy. Some really high ups (I'm not naming names, but someone had a baby) mixed in with some down days, too. But this weekend promises some fun! Our plans: a Blue Apron meal tonight (accompanied by a bottle of wine, please and thank you), a hike tomorrow morning, our first family UCLA game(!!!), and a no-plans day on Sunday. With some workouts thrown in for good measure, I'm thinking we have a great few days ahead.
So I have decided that I'd like to go ahead and tackle a squat challenge for October. Actually, I was all excited about completing Gina's "Squatember" challenge last month, but, truth be told, I completely forgot about it until maybe the tenth day and then I decided to just keep on keeping on with the yoga thing. Well, we're still tackling the yoga and really enjoying it, but I am going to create my own little squat challenge, too. Feel free to join me, or just cheer me on, or remind me to keep it up around day four when I've already forgotten. Thanks.
Oh, and yes, you're right, today IS October 2nd. Why on earth am I starting a month-long challenge on the second day of the month? I have no excuse, friends. Not even a really great reason, like, "Fridays are shown to be the best day to start squat challenges," or, "Starting on the first day of the month is proven to lead to disaster." In all honesty, I wrote last night's post around 9:30 pm and just didn't think to add in the whole squat thing. Once again, I'm continuing my quest to demonstrate how amazing I am.
Back to squats.
Okay, here's day two. (Day one was a rest day?)
- 15 bodyweight squats
- 15 plie squats
- 1 minute wall sit
- 1 minute plie squat pulses
Complete 3-4 times. I'm pushing for four but I'll report back with my results.
Remember to maintain proper technique! Plant both feet firmly and engage your glutes to prevent your knees from collapsing in toward the center line. Avoid allowing the knee to move past the toe; instead, keep your knee over your ankle. Focus on proper alignment, then work on deepening the squat to get lower.
Okay, we just finished day two! Um...definitely only three rounds. We thought we were going to fall over after the second round but pushed through for one more. We also did day 12 of our yoga today, and thankfully it was a very mellow one.
So if you're thinking of joining me for the squat challenge, obviously you could start on October 3rd, or you could just skip day two and start with day 4 (on Sunday). Here's Sunday's challenge (day four):
5 squats + 5 squat jumps (repeat for one minute)
Rest for one minute
Repeat one minute on and one minute off for 10 minutes
For more of a challenge, go longer. By all means. My eyes tend to be bigger than my muscles, so I have a feeling I'll be dying by minute 6 and regret everything.
I'll have the rest of the month up by Monday. If nothing else, I'm aiming for a toned and tight tushy by November 1!
And now for some super random tidbits:
- I received a gift of a week of Blue Apron for my birthday, and I finally ordered it. Somehow, signing up for my free week subscribed me to a weekly meal plan, which I didn't want, so I wrote in to customer service. Amazingly, they wrote back and refunded my credit card! Plus, since they had already sent our week of meals, we received those meals for free. I am SO impressed with that customer service! Way to go, Blue Apron!
- We recently watched Lilo and Stitch, which I had never seen. It wasn't great.
- Yesterday was Julie Andrews' birthday! I love her. 80 years old and still amazing. I wish I could say my parents named me after her, but they didn't. So...that's something.
- Also this post may be the first time ever I didn't mention Marshall. To remedy that, I'll tell you that Marshall WALKED all the way to the park by himself yesterday! Terry carried him across the streets of course, but he walked almost a mile! Dang, kid. No wonder he eats so much!
- My parents are visiting next week and I am counting down the hours to seeing them!! I love love love watching Marshall play with his PopPop and JanJan. And Terry and I are for sure planning to sneak away for a date night/day/happy hour/whatever (okay, Mom and Dad?).
Happy weekend, friends!