Sunday, November 20, 2011

French Toast Sunday

What a perfect, lazy morning! I woke up to gray skies, which have now opened up for a healthy amount of rain. Terry had to work again this morning, so I slept in and decided to skip my workout in favor of cleaning up a bit. When my tummy started rumbling. I got a great idea for breakfast.

Almond French Toast
Serves 2

  • 4 slices whole wheat bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 banana, sliced (for topping)
  • 1 handful slivered almonds (for topping)
  • Pure maple syrup (for topping)
Whisk the eggs, milk, extract, and spices in a square or round baking dish. Heat the butter over medium heat in a large pan. One at a time, dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and place in the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. To assemble, layer the cooked toast and top with bananas, almonds, and syrup. I also added another dash of cinnamon and nutmeg on top.


This breakfast really hit the spot on a rainy Sunday morning. I wish Terry had been home to enjoy it with me, but he'll be home tonight for a new Sunday recipe! I have some leftover salad from yesterday plus a butternut squash, so we'll see what I come up with. 

Meanwhile, a lot of folks have asked what I plan to do during my Thanksgiving break. Since I am taking today to be super lazy, here's the plan for the rest of the week:
  • Create some Christmas gifts that I have planned for family
  • Grade some papers
  • Read a book (right now I'm reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin)
  • Book our hotels and transportation for our European Christmas
  • Try a few new recipes
  • Work out, of course :-)
  • Order our first Christmas cards, which Terry is designing
  • Decorate for Christmas
  • Celebrate Thanksgiving Day with Terry's family
  • Celebrate Thanksgiving with friends next Sunday - our first "Friendsgiving"!
Can you tell I'm a little excited to have a week off?

0 comments:

Post a Comment