Friday, November 4, 2011

Stress Post #2: How to Relieve Stress

Remember that yoga session I mentioned yesterday? Yeah, that didn't happen. After I snoozed my alarm about four times, I gave up and settled in for another 20 minutes before finally dragging myself out of bed. I did, however, treat myself to some yummy cheddar-gruyere scrambled eggs and toast while Terry treated himself to some extra sleep to try to knock out whatever's making him feel slightly sick this week. And then I headed out for my second-to-last long Friday of the football season.

This school year has felt far more stressful, exhausting, and hectic than usual. I generally experience busy autumns because I coach cheer and attend two football games per week, plus some cross country meets, volleyball games, and after school practices. Throw in parent meeting nights and committee meetings, and I'm a rather busy lady those first few months of school. But this year seems crazier for some reason, and I've been feeling the stress.

As I mentioned in my first stress post, I notice stress manifests itself in me through physical symptoms, such as stomachaches, "stress bumps" (little sores on my tongue that hurt terribly), and headaches. Luckily, I've learned to control the stomachaches through my healthy eating habits, and I can also recognize the signs early enough that I can practice my stress-busting skills.

I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of expert here. I'm certainly not a doctor or psychiatrist. But I do work in a profession that is ranked as one of the most stressful jobs in America, and I already have a natural inclination toward being tense and anxious, so I'll call myself experienced. Today, though, after a ridiculous week at work, not enough time with my husband, few workouts, and very little sleep, my coworker mentioned that I always look cheery and sunny, even when I'm tired and overworked. What a compliment! I certainly try to put on a happy face, even at the worst of times, and I'm glad to know that it's working to some extent!

How to Relieve Stress
This post focuses on relieving stress over long periods of time. These techniques are great for you to try if you, like me, are naturally anxious a lot of the time. They're also great if you're going through a few weeks or months of intense work deadlines. I think they are most helpful, though, for anyone who is experiencing some drastic changes that make you feel like you've lost control of some aspect (or several aspects) of your life. Even positive changes, like marriage, graduating from college, or buying a house can sneak major stress into your life. These exercises calm you down, help you relax, clear your mind, and provide you with some clarity so that you can go attack whatever your day brings you.
  • Exercise. Find something that works for you. In times of high stress, the goal should not be to lose weight or increase your mile time for a marathon. Focus your workout on simply working up a sweat, which will release endorphins and give you energy. Ideally, you should try to work out in the morning, but we know that isn't always practical. If you can, though, work out before dinner so that your body has time to relax and slow down before bed. My recommendations for a workout during high stress range from yoga to running, but again, it needs to work for you. If taking a new class at your gym is going to make you feel uncomfortable and increase stress, now's not the best time to try it (but try it later!). If running makes you think too much, steer clear until your thoughts are more peaceful. You get the idea.
  • Take ten deep breaths. How cliche, right? But have you ever actually done it? I used to get to four and then get distracted by something. But then, in a Pilates class, we were essentially forced to take ten deeeeeeeeep breaths at the end of class. Since then, I've learned that one minute (it should truly take at least a full minute if you're taking deeeeeeeeep breaths) can make a huge difference in my day. It provides energy and requires you to focus on yourself (you can't possibly think about expanding your lungs to their full capacity and your income taxes at the same time. Try it. I dare you).
  • Spend time with positive people. Make a date with a close friend, have coffee with your parents (unless they stress you out even more!), get in some cuddle time with your significant other. Positive people can help you feel more positive; plus, getting together with an old friend or trusting confidant can revive your energy and help you feel better.
  • Take time for yourself. Read a book, go for a walk, see a movie alone, clean out your closet, or go shopping (retail therapy?).
  • Find a way to laugh. I like watching reruns of my favorite TV shows, playing with our adorable kitten, throwing on a funny movie, watching some silly youtube videos, or chatting with my favorite people. Laughing, like exercise, gives you time away from whatever is stressing you out! Check out this article I found on laughter and stress.
Stress affects everyone differently, so everyone has different ways to reduce it. Try these out, and see what works for you. Since I have experienced a huge range of different types of stressors, I find that I need to use these techniques in combination (and often!). Just remember: If all else fails, a piece of chocolate cake might be the miracle worker!

0 comments:

Post a Comment