Friday, March 16, 2012

DVR, Pizza, and Real Food

Happy Friday!!! I hope you had a spectacular week and are ready to enjoy the weekend.

As a cheer coach, I rarely find myself at home on Friday nights, and I'm thrilled to be sitting on my couch writing this post at 8:23 p.m. Sadly, I still felt mighty sick today, so I came straight home, threw on my cozy fleece pants, and kept the activity to a minimum. Still, I made the most of the evening:

  • Whipped up a triple batch of Julie's peanut butter granola
  • Made pizza crust for this evening's dinner
  • Watched a few of our TV shows on DVR (up first: New Girl and Modern Family)
  • Helped Terry with laundry
Once again, no workout. I am praying that a great night of sleep (going to bed as soon as I publish this post and not setting an alarm!) will lead to a full recovery - or at least enough recovery to complete my boot camp workouts for the week! It's supposed to rain in LA this weekend, and I'm actually excited about some possible treadmill action (Terry hates the treadmill, so I usually only hit the machines if I'm alone or the weather's bad). Our goal is to keep the weekend super mellow, completely against our nature but likely just what we need.

As I mentioned, tonight's dinner called for a delicious homemade pizza. I made my favorite crust from Lisa's blog and topped it with some marinara sauce, fresh spinach (it wilts perfectly in the oven), and mozzarella slices. I put pepperoni on all but two slices, because Terry doesn't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. Then I baked it all at 450 degrees for about 18 minutes. 

This crust rocks my world

Great way to get in some veggies!

Served with Brussels sprouts and an egg

Delicious dinner, and perfect for a low key Friday night.

Scout caught up on some reading. (<--I swear my cat comments won't get much more cat-lady than that, so hang in there)

I also want to share an interesting article I came across today about 5 foods people think are healthy but actually aren't. You all know I do my best to eat real foods, preferably homemade. I've learned a lot about where foods come from, but it's still great to see specifics on certain foods. Personally, I always thought protein bars were perfectly "healthy" because they provide protein and fiber. But the long list of ingredients now steers me away from meal bars in favor of natural sources of those macro nutrients. Why scarf down a bar that (even if it's covered in chocolate) tastes a bit like a piece of paper when I could eat eggs and toast or peanut butter and fruit? 

If you find the article interesting, I highly recommend (as I do often here on BLWB) checking out In Defense of Food or An Omnivore's Dilemma, both by Michael Pollan. They explain in much more detail why eating natural, real foods is so much better for us than the 15+ ingredients (not all of which are actually food) in a frozen dinner. Moral of the story: If I can swing it, I stick with stuff that comes from the earth. 

See you tomorrow for a St. Patrick's Day post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment