Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chlorine, Corned Beef, and Cabbage

Is it me, or do the weekends go to fast? (<--Hello, Captain Obvious.) As I write more, I learn that I am a pretty intense person. I refuse to waste time. It's a sickness, really. Wasting time is not bad, and I highly suggest it. I, however, cannot allow a moment to pass without ensuring that I'm being productive. It's exhausting. I wish my cat - or my brother - would teach me how to live.

Priority: Finding the most comfortable spot next to a window.

Another priority: attacking his tail whilst upside down.

This morning, Terry was off for more scuba training(he's becoming a Dive Master), and I got to work on a) an egg sandwich, and b) work for school.

Honey whole wheat toast, fried egg, jelly, and Havarti cheese

After a few hours, I settled in with Scout to get myself caught up on The Biggest Loser, my favorite reality show. Yes, I had four weeks backed up in the ol' DVR, but I plowed through. Here's the key: Fast forward through commercials (5 arrows = about 7 seconds), and only watch the weigh-ins if you really need to know how the drama plays out. This technique cuts the two-hour show to about one hour. If you need any other TV-watching tips, please let me know.

During the show, I got to work on my third workout from Week 2 of Tina's Best Body Boot Camp. Yowza! Those Turkish Get Ups were no easier this week, but I love them. You will see them on this blog in the future. Don't worry. (I know you were worried.)

For lunch, I made some seriously delicious quesadillas that we scarfed down before I could snap a photo. Then we braved the cold wind for a long walk around our neighborhood and hit the hot tub. I love hot tubbing before stretching, because my muscles get super limber in the heat.
Scout, on the other hand, needs no stretching at all to be this flexible.

When we got back from the hot tub, Scout performed his usual post-swim ritual (no, he doesn't swim with us). He goes crazy for chlorine!

Nibbling Terry's toes

It would be cute if it didn't hurt so much
He goes through this little attack every time we come back from the pool or hot tub, so we had to look it up. According to the Internet, cats react to chlorine much like they do to catnip. The article makes it sound like Scout is going to exhibit some terrible behaviors, but he actually just bites our toes and wrestles with our feet. We just laugh.

For dinner, Terry gobbled up two servings of his corned beef and cabbage. We found the corned beef at Trader Joe's, and Terry threw roughly chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, and cabbage in the crock pot for eight hours on low.

Happy (belated) St. Patrick's Day!

I tried it, but I'm really not a big fan of this traditional dish, so I created my own little recipe.

It looks unappealing, but it was mighty tasty!

Gnocchi with Veggies and Cream Sauce
Serves 2

Vegetables

  • 2 green vegetables of your choice (I used asparagus and broccoli crowns), chopped into one-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 
  • 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Gnocchi
  • Whole wheat gnocchi
You can find this gnocchi in the pasta aisle at Trader Joe's
Heat a small pot of boiling water and add two servings of gnocchi (about 1 1/2 cups). Boil the gnocchi until it floats to the top, about 2 minutes.

For the vegetables, melt the butter in a small pan, then add the veggies and salt and pepper and saute until ready, about 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, to make the sauce, melt the tablespoon of butter and add the flour, whisking together until light brown, about 30 seconds. Add the milk and turn the heat down to very low. Once the milk is warm (but not scalded), add the cheeses and whisk until smooth.

Stir the vegetables into the sauce. Drain the gnocchi and combine it with the sauce-veggie mixture. Serve hot.


Delicious!
 Best served with champagne, especially if you're celebrating your husband's awesome performance at work lately.

Moet & Chandon

Terry made himself a Black Velvet - 1/2 Guinness, 1/2 champagne

During dinner, we watched 50/50, the movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen. We really liked it, though we both cried. I definitely recommend it! It had been a long time since we watched a new movie, and it was so fun to relax and enjoy.

Hope you enjoyed a great weekend! Off to bed before another busy week. Only 6 days until our cruise!



0 comments:

Post a Comment