Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

Happy Pi Day, everyone! March 14th is Pi Day, celebrating 3.14. I'm not really into it, but I know Terry is, as is my good friend Amanda, and I'm not one to turn down a celebration.


Speaking of celebrating, I’m thrilled that the blog world came up with What I Ate Wednesday instead of Tuesday, because yesterday’s meals were pretty sad. When we landed, Terry and I grabbed a quick breakfast at Noah’s Bagels, and, since I needed lunch, too, I bought a second bagel for later. Between those “meals” and a few cookies, I was craving some healthy foods by the time I got home and squeezed in all five servings of fruits and vegetables by the time we finished dinner. After an orange, I sautéed an onion, two yellow squash, three small zucchini squash, spinach, and a red bell pepper with some marinara and a splash of red wine. Topped with mozzarella, of course.


Terry's beautiful table setting

Veggie pasta - quickly becoming a staple in this house


Speaking of which, one of our best friends, Winnie, was in town over the weekend and stopped by last night for dinner. I’m grateful she likes vegetables, because I went to town on that veggie pasta. I also whipped up some whole wheat biscuits, and Winnie surprised us with some Diddy Riese cookies. (If you’re in LA, Diddy is a must-do, and I’m sure Winnie had a slight ulterior motive in revisiting one of Westwood’s most famous landmarks to provide us with dessert.)

Whole wheat biscuits

Winnie works in PR and really has a fascinating job. She’s actually in town for work, and she gets to field lots of questions from the press while putting out fires when her company gets negative press. Definitely not a boring job! Winnie lives in San Jose, very close to my hometown, so it was great to catch up in person and hear about her recent work, travel, and marriage adventures (Winnie and her husband, Brian, started dating the same summer that Terry and I did, and we all worked together at UCLA). Short but sweet, and probably good that Winnie had to leave before 9, because Terry and I were exhausted.

After eight hours of sleep, I woke up feeling a bit under the weather this morning, probably from all the stress and traveling lately. Some DayQuil and Halls kept me going through the day, and I’m grateful for once that today was a standardized testing day, which meant that students tested while I graded and organized my lesson plans, and we only had three classes in the afternoon instead of our usual six. Our cheer girls are getting ready for a rally, so we had after-school practice, but then I was able to come straight home and cozy up with the kitten.

Here’s my What I Ate Wednesday for 3/14/12 (Pi Day!):

6:30 a.m. – Breakfast, courtesy of my awesome husband
Leftover whole-wheat biscuit (whole, though I realize only half is in the picture) with peanut butter and ¾ cup strawberries 
Tea :-)


10:30 a.m. – Morning snack
Orange

12:30 p.m. – Lunch
Leftover veggie pasta
 
3:30 p.m. – Afternoon snack
Banana

6:30 p.m. – Dinner

Veggie scramble

Red bell pepper, spinach, and feta with 1 1/2 biscuits


 9:00 p.m. – Dessert 

Tea with Scout

  Plus 1/2 of a new muffin I baked - recipe coming soon!



Time for bed!


Hope you had a great pi day! Did you celebrate? I wish I had done something cute, like baking a pie, but I didn't think of it until just now, when I saw Alice's post. But you should try her awesome-looking no-bake pie!

0 comments:

Post a Comment