Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Full Body 10 Circuit + WIAW

More than halfway through the week, folks! I'm rather enjoying my first week of summer so far. Terry's still working as usual, so I've even been waking up early with him to work out before he leaves. While I follow Fitnessista's Summer Shape Up, I didn't want to leave the guy without a plan, so I created a tough circuit for him to complete:



Some notes:
  • Dumbbell PliĆ© Squat with Upright Row - Be sure to push your knees out, toes pointed outward. 
  • Push Ups - To increase difficulty, try a variation, like clapping between push ups or lifting one leg; to lighten it up, drop your knees but keep your hips in line with your shoulders and knees.
  • Romanian Deadlifts - Start with a light weight if you're new to these. Don't lock your knees! Keep a very slight bend to protect your legs, and keep your back flat. Engage your core to prevent injury to your lower back. 
  • Lateral Raises - For an extra challenge, stand on one foot at a time, which engages your core.
  • Jumping Jack Burpees with Push Up - To lighten it up, do a regular burpee and skip the push up. 
  • WeightedSquats - If using dumbbells, keep your arms by your side. 
  • Lat Pull Downs OR Pull Ups 
  • Bodyweight Lateral Lunge (look at #1 on the collage) (each side) - Complete 10 reps on one side before moving to the other side. Touch the floor with both hands before coming back to standing.
  • Hanging Knee Raises - Try it with straight legs to up the challenge! To take it down a notch, lay on the floor on your back with your feet straight up in the air, then slowly lift and lower your butt, pushing your heels straight to the ceiling. 
  • Tuck Jumps - To decrease the intensity, make it a step up. 

I'd love to hear what you think if you give it a try! 



Check out the other WIAWs!

Being home during the day makes my meals far more diverse--and delicious! So after an awesome workout (Terry completed the above Full Body 10 Circuit, I struggled through today's Summer Shape Up from Fitnessista), I whipped up fried eggs with pepper jack cheese on half a tortilla. 


After a stressful visit to the vet with Scout (he's fine, just hates getting into his carrier), I whipped up a seriously summery fruit salad of blackberries, banana, and mango. These three belong together.


Last night I made my enchilada casserole, minus the chicken because I didn't have any defrosted, and I enjoyed those leftovers for lunch today.



For a quick snack in the afternoon, a bowl of Erewhon rice cereal combined with a little homemade peanut butter granola. So tasty!


For dinner tonight, I'm whipping up more of these phenomenal sandwiches.


How did I not discover this combination until now? Will I ever want to eat anything else for lunch ever again? (Seriously, I wanted to make this sandwich for lunch today instead of eating leftovers. So I e-mailed Terry at work to ask if I could switch our dinner plans and make this sandwich again. It's getting ridiculous.) 

I'm not sure what we'll do for a side dish yet, but I'm leaning toward sauteed spinach with feta, lemon, and pine nuts (an Ina Garten recipe). But I do know my dessert:


Yesterday I made strawberry ice cream! Perfect for the summer, especially with more of that peanut butter granola! Yesterday Terry called it a sweet peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I completely disagree, but it was tasty. 

Do you have a meal you could eat any time, even if you've eaten it already that day? Or am I weird? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment