Sunday, June 16, 2013

Post-School Year Detox

First of all, I'd like to wish a very happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

My dad, circa 2010


I hope you were able to celebrate with the dad in your life. We'll be heading up north next weekend to see my parents, and we saw my father-in-law this weekend.

It wasn't intentional, but a three-day hiatus from my usual routines felt fantastic. And it happened to coincide with the end of the school year, so I suppose we can call this last weekend a little detox.

Thursday was the final day of the school year, and after a lunch with my coworkers plus assisting at graduation, I got to bed early that night. Friday I woke up feeling less than stellar--sore throat, achy, headache--so I scooted off to school to pack up my classroom and then took it easy the rest of the day until a double date with Jenn and Justin. Yesterday Terry and I headed out to spend the night with his grandparents and to celebrate Father's Day, and today we went to a movie and for a walk.

That walk was the only form of exercise I even attempted over the last several days, and I know I'll be ready to get back to my usual routine. After all the "taking it easy" I'm anxious to get moving and crank out some productivity!

Now that the school year has ended and summer has officially begun, I'm ready to reflect a bit on the year. The tough parts certainly threw me for a loop, but I think overall it was my most successful year of teaching. I suppose that each year should get better, so it makes sense, but I really feel I learned a ton and did a good job of applying those lessons. I made strong connections with my fellow teachers, and I hope those friendships continue. I maintained a positive relationship with my students, despite my occasional (frequent?) frustrations. And I also created a more healthy work-life balance for myself, which is a goal I want to continue striving to improve.

And now it's summer. So far, our plans include:
  • a trip to Hawaii
  • visits with family 
  • celebrating our two-year wedding anniversary
  • trying out new recipes
  • seeing movies in theaters (This is the End and Much Ado About Nothing top our lists right now)
  • hitting up the farmer's market as often as possible
  • morning workouts (much easier if it's not a 4:30 wake up call!)
  • planning a trip to Europe for fall
  • perhaps check a few items off my 30 Before 30 Bucket List
You know we like to keep things busy around here, and this summer will be no different. So I'll be back tomorrow with my regular workouts, meals, and blog posts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment