Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Zumba Remix and WIAW

I absolutely love hearing everyone's bucket list goals! Keep the comments coming! Between writing that post and today, I've already thought up ten more ideas, but I think I'll stick to 30 for now.

Also, I want to wish a very happy birthday to one of my best friends Winnie! Welcome to the 27 club--it's not half bad!

I meant to share yesterday, but on Monday Jenn invited me to a Zumba class nearby, and I was thrilled to finally get to join her. The place was packed--the teacher Wil is obviously a fan favorite--and we had a great time. I've only taken a few Zumba classes and honestly haven't been as into it as I thought I would be. I used to dance, and I guess I assumed I'd still love to get my cardio in that way, even though the style isn't what I used to do. 

Well, apparently the teacher makes a huge difference! I loved the music selection and was sweating the entire time. I was totally into it--engaged, laughing, pushing myself, and getting my heart rate up! I would most definitely go back to his class, AND I'm excited to try more Zumba now that I know it's all about finding the right teacher. 

Terry and I also woke up super early yesterday to complete our workout: 5 minutes warm up, 20 minutes HIIT (30 seconds HARD, 30 seconds recover), 20 minutes steady state. I've joined in the fun of Fitnessista's Summer Shape Up and am loving it so far! If you're interested, it's FREE and never too late to join (I think if you join now you can get the whole workout calendar still, so you can still do the full month of workouts!). She has some crazy moves, like the plank-to-pike on the stability ball that makes my shoulders cry, and I love the challenge of trying out a new workout plan. Today's an off/active recovery day, so we completed a 45-minute walk around the neighborhood while we chatted about our days.

Alright, so those have been our workouts; let's check in on today's meals.

Check out the other WIAWs!

Breakfast: Piece of toast with avocado and cottage cheese (plus a sprinkling of pepper), and tea

I actually credit my parents for this breakfast idea. I never would have thought to combine avocado and cottage cheese, especially on top of toast, but it totally works! Great way to incorporate several food groups into one easy meal.

Midmorning snack: blackberries and blueberries, eaten while grading and hanging with my coworker

Lunch: leftover tuna (we made tuna melts last night) and woven wheats

Afternoon snack: bowl of Erewhon rice cereal (I am so proud that I only ate one bowl!) and another cup of tea--the grading has sucked the life out of me today

Post-walk snack (no, I couldn't wait the hour until dinner--I'm a champ)


Dinner: lasagna, salad, berries, and brownies at UCLA for our final volunteer meeting of the year (no photo, just scarfed it down)! So sad this year ended because it was a BLAST, but also excited for all our team accomplished!


What's a workout that you tried but didn't love the first time? Would you try again?

3 comments:

  1. Zumba is awesome! I'm so glad you got to experience it with a good instructor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about Zumba, and you're right it was probably the teacher. Probably time to revisit!

    I love pita and hummus. It's been my go-to snack lately. I really love to mix a littleof Trader Joes bruschetta sauce in with the hummus..it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never gone to a zumba class, but I've done zumba plenty of times in my living room! One of these days I'm going to get myself to a class because it sounds like it would be a blast.

    ReplyDelete