Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Delicious Accident

If there's one thing I've learned about relationships over the last six and a half years and marriage over the last year and a half (wow! already?!), it's that communication is key. And I think Terry and I have become pretty great about communicating with each other.

In this picture I'm saying, "Please don't do anything weird or embarrassing right now." (He didn't. Because he is a gentleman and a scholar.)


Tonight, however, presented a delicious (and hilarious) exception.

See, this week, I challenged Terry to create our menu. He was responsible for deciding on lunches and dinners from Friday through Friday. He never fails to impress me with his creativity; we ended up making several new recipes this week, including homemade gnocchi.

Tonight, the menu included zucchini ribbons and goat cheese marinara with eggplant. I took that to mean roasted eggplant slices topped with zucchini ribbons and goat cheese marinara. When Terry came into the kitchen as I assembled our plates, however, he looked around with a confused expression and said, "Did you make the almond pesto?"

What the what?!

Turns out, Terry's menu called for goat cheese marinara veggie pasta (with actual pasta) and zucchini-almond pesto salad on the side.

Oops.

Terry laughed off my mistake like a champ while I moped about messing up dinner. Apparently our communication skills still need some work, huh?

Turns out, however, that my mistake resulted in a delicious accident.


And a super simple recipe!

Roasted Eggplant with Goat Cheese Marinara and Zucchini Ribbons
Serves 2

  • 1 large eggplant, sliced 3/4-inch think
  • 4 small zucchini
  • 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
  • 4 ounces goat cheese
  • 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • Parmesan for garnish
Heat over to 425 degrees. Lightly oil the eggplant, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the marinara sauce and wine in a saucepan. Once boiling, stir in the goat cheese and reduce heat to medium-low.

Finally, use a Y-peeler to create your zucchini ribbons. I have absolutely no tips for doing it; my process was extremely awkward and uncomfortable, though generally successful. You'll figure it out. 

To assemble, place the eggplant slice(s) on a plate, then pile on the zucchini ribbons (a generous handful), and top with the marinara sauce. Garnish with Parmesan and serve hot!


*Note: The zucchini ribbons aren't cooked, and you can barely taste them. Perhaps you can encourage a zicchini-phobe to enjoy this meal! Also, this meal can of course be served with pasta instead of or in addition to the eggplant. Be creative--just use whole wheat!


In other news, we didn't wake up this morning for a workout. I take full responsibility for snoozing about eight times before finally telling Terry we should just change our alarms to 5:30 instead of waking up every three minutes. But we did squeeze in a terrific workout this afternoon: My Sure-to-Get-You-Shaky Leg Workout from last month. Damn, that's a doozy! We also tacked on a 20-minute HIIT on the treadmill: 30 seconds HARD, 60 seconds easy; 10 rounds, plus a cool down. We are certainly going to be sore tomorrow!

Here's the leg workout:

I used 10-pound dumbbells for the first four exercises for the first two sets, then increased to 15 pounds for the pendulum lunges, wide leg squats, and good mornings on the third set. 


And finally, some terrific blog posts from some of my favorite bloggers:

Happy Friday to you!!!

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes accidents in the kitchen turn out to be the most delicious! And thanks for this workout - it's looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I'm glad there was a misunderstanding, because this recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM looks delish! And sounds like exactly the kind of kitchen creation I'd love. Lots of my favorite things in one dish! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday to you!! Zucchini never has much of a taste unless itz seasoned so I find it works with SO many dishes!! And who doesn't like zucchini?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great Friday!

    Zucchini is so good yet I always forget to get some!

    I love goat cheese! So good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. um that sounds delicious, i need him to plan my meals

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool. Funny how flavors (even though accidental) can blend together so nicely. Great job team!

    Psss. It's ok to sleep in, it happens

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when kitchen accidents turn out delicious! Now you'll have two delicious dinners in your arsenal!

    ReplyDelete