Saturday, November 19, 2011

Buy a Turkey, Get a Free Bag

Did you know that Whole Foods gives you a free bag if you buy a turkey?

Scout was thrilled!

Who, me?

To start the day, I got in a little yoga session. I used my OnDemand to do "Dynamic Yoga", which was exactly what I needed. 35 minutes of cardio/strength and 10 full minutes of stretching. It felt awesome. Then we tried a new breakfast recipe. Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers always talks about her overnight oats, and I finally tried some today. You can find Julie's original recipe here (overnight oats). I combined the following last night:

  • 2/3 cup oats
  • 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 heaping tablespoon (crunchy) peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
Then this morning I added sliced bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Terry took some on his way to work, but I enjoyed mine after a lovely round of yoga. We both agreed that we loved the flavor of this breakfast, but we both had a tough time getting past the texture. I think I thought the oats would soften more, but they still seemed raw to me, and Terry agreed. We also agreed that the best bites were the ones with banana. We'll definitely try this recipe again with some variations, but it was great to get so many different healthy foods in during one meal - yogurt + oats + bananas. Yum!

Great flavor, weird texture.

Looking forward to trying this recipe again!

After breakfast, I showered and raced out to Whole Foods to collect ingredients for today's tailgate. I baked cornbread (recipe from Lisa's blog) and threw together a salad. My amazing mom helped me out with a new salad recipe that was a bit hit - thanks Mom! 

We made cornbread because our friend Katie brought a delicious turkey chili to share. It was amazing! She added zucchini and yellow squash to her chili, and now I’m super excited to do the same when Terry makes his awesome chili next time. The cornbread paired perfectly with the chili, and I loved that Lisa’s recipe calls for whole kernels of corn!


Homemade cornbread
Mom’s salad gave us some great veggies for the day. It’s more of a summer salad, but it still worked on a chilly (“chili”? Get it?!) day.

Mom’s Poppyseed Salad
Dressing
Makes about one cup
  • 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
  • Slivered almonds
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcester sauce 
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup oil
Combine the poppyseeds, sugar, onion, and almonds. Whisk in the Worcester sauce and apple cider vinegar. Then slowly whisk in the oil. 

Salad
Serves 2
  • 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 3 cups fresh spinach
  • 3 tablespoons poppyseed dressing (above)
Toss all ingredients together. Serve immediately.





I love the colors in this salad!

Heidi finished off our tailgate with some super cranberry white chocolate chip cookies. Oh, yum. I think I ate four. Delicious!

And thus ends our home football games for the season. Luckily, getting together for this tailgate helped us decide that we want to do a little friends' Thanksgiving celebration next weekend! I'm providing the turkey and stuffing because I bought a turkey today and immediately realized that Terry and I can't finish that thing. So we all agreed to celebrate together and enjoy a second (or, for Katie and her husband Corey, fourth) Thanksgiving meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment