Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Celebratory Quiche

I opted to skip yesterday's post in order to get some sleep. I've been under the weather, and sure enough, today I'm home sick. But at least it gives me a chance to catch up on a few posts I've been wanting to write.

First and foremost, as promised, a review of the Sausage Quiche! We raced over to Jenn and Justin's last night after work. (Note: If you're bringing your quiche to a holiday party or potluck, either bake and home and then reheat upon arrival, or, as I did, make all the elements - crust, egg mixture, sausage/onions, shredded cheese - ahead of time and travel with them separately. Then pour the egg mixture into the crust when you get there and cook!) Jenn submitted her qualifying exams for her Ph.D. yesterday, so it was to be a mini-celebration! We brought champagne and the main course; Jenn provided the scrumptious sides.

As I mentioned on Sunday, Terry thought the first crust I made for the quiche tasted mostly like olive oil, and once he pointed it out I totally agreed. So this time I opted for canola oil, and the crust tasted much better. Jenn and Justin enjoyed the quiche, too. We all loved Justin's method of eating his quiche, which essentially involved mashing up his entire quiche into a garbage plate-style meal. I wish I had taken a picture! Justin did say it was delicious even without the pretty presentation.

Our lovely quiche - before Justin smashed his.


Jenn is the yin to my yang when it comes to putting together a meal. Usually, I'm all about the main course, but Jenn starts with the veggies first! I really admire that type of cooking, and I definitely want to get better about focusing on the vegetable. 

So yesterday Jenn looked to her farm box for inspiration and ended up with roasted sweet potatoes and turnips. The combination was delicious! I had never eaten a turnip (to my knowledge) and thought it paired perfectly with the sweet potatoes. Jenn diced the vegetables and baked them at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Delicious nutrition!

Congratulations to Jenn on finishing her qualifying exams! Do something else impressive so we can celebrate again soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment