Almond French Toast
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 banana, sliced (for topping)
- 1 handful slivered almonds (for topping)
- Pure maple syrup (for topping)
Whisk the eggs, milk, extract, and spices in a square or round baking dish. Heat the butter over medium heat in a large pan. One at a time, dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and place in the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. To assemble, layer the cooked toast and top with bananas, almonds, and syrup. I also added another dash of cinnamon and nutmeg on top.
This breakfast really hit the spot on a rainy Sunday morning. I wish Terry had been home to enjoy it with me, but he'll be home tonight for a new Sunday recipe! I have some leftover salad from yesterday plus a butternut squash, so we'll see what I come up with.
Meanwhile, a lot of folks have asked what I plan to do during my Thanksgiving break. Since I am taking today to be super lazy, here's the plan for the rest of the week:
- Create some Christmas gifts that I have planned for family
- Grade some papers
- Read a book (right now I'm reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin)
- Book our hotels and transportation for our European Christmas
- Try a few new recipes
- Work out, of course :-)
- Order our first Christmas cards, which Terry is designing
- Decorate for Christmas
- Celebrate Thanksgiving Day with Terry's family
- Celebrate Thanksgiving with friends next Sunday - our first "Friendsgiving"!
Can you tell I'm a little excited to have a week off?