Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weekend Eats 'N' Things

While I've been busy writing about BLEND retreat the last two days, I've neglected to mention a few fun happenings, eats, and workouts, so let's get caught up!

Remember those to-die-for Southwest chicken sandwiches from earlier this week? 

Oh yes.
Yeah, those came back in a big way the next night. I also discovered that adding a little BBQ sauce and sour cream (maybe a tablespoon of each for two servings of chicken) to the chicken makes the whole sandwich a lot more moist and extra scrumptious. 

Come on. Tell me you don't want a bite of that.

Even Scout got in on the chicken (minus the sauce, of course). 



I also promised I would share a salad that I made using most of the ingredients from my chicken sandwiches.



Sorry, neither photo looks very appetizing, but I promise they were delicious! Here's what I did:

Southwest Chicken Salad
Serves 1
  • Handful (or two) of spinach
  • 1/4 cup shredded chicken
  • Handful of frozen corn (to thaw out in the fridge by lunchtime)
  • Handful of diced bell peppers (I used green)
  • 2 tablespoons shredded pepper jack cheese
  • Finely chopped red onion, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3-4 tortilla chips, to crumble over the salad
  • 1/2 tablespoon BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon sour cream
Combine and toss all ingredients (I pre-stirred the BBQ sauce and sour cream to make a dressing; my husband complained it was too think, so I suggested adding some water to thin it out for tossing). I recommend adding the dressing (BBQ sauce + sour cream) and tortilla chips right before eating the salad, so they don't get soggy. A delicious, easy way to use leftovers but add some extra veggies into the mix!

Last night (Friday), Terry and I tried a new restaurant in our neighborhood called Plan Check. (We didn't get a chance to ask about the name; anyone have a creative guess?) 

The burgers reminded us of Umami Burger, a gourmet burger place with locations in LA. I found the atmosphere to be very fun--perfect for happy hour--but the beer and wine list was a little limited the cocktail list, on the other hand, looked quite fun, and I'm excited to go back to try one of those fun creations). 

My choice: The Plan Check Burger

Terry's choice: The Chef's Favorite (with fried egg!)



Once home, Terry and I celebrated with some champagne. Love these glasses that Crate & Barrel gave us for registering with them!

And I stuck a candle in a macaroon to "celebrate" Scout's second birthday. Since we rescued him, we have no idea when he was actually born, but the shelter guessed May. Two years old and still tiny! He'll be a little cat, but we love his energy!

Should I eat it? Paw at it? Just stare?

Today was a super productive day of cleaning, working out,

So sweaty!
grocery shopping, eating a caprese pita,


along with some bruschetta,




and watching Scout play with one of his favorite toys: a straw.



What are your Sunday plans? How are you working in some down time to relax and enjoy yourself?

2 comments:

  1. I'll be at work today! Hrmph! But it's okay, only two more days and then I get a nice trip back to ChiTown to see the family! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work on a Sunday - you're a champ! How fun to get to go to Chicago though! Enjoy your vacation!

      Delete