Thursday, February 16, 2012

What "Listen to Your Body" Means

First things first: The winner of the HIMYM challenge is Heidi! Congrats! I'll be in touch to get you your goodies. :-)

Today I learned what it means to listen to my body. I've been running around all week, going to sleep after 11 pm every night. Despite having the day off this Monday, it still felt like a crazy week. Maybe it was Valentine's day? Regardless, I've been beat by the time I get home every day. Today was no exception.

After leaving work later than expected, tackling the Trader Joe's parking lot for some grocery shopping, cleaning out our fridge and restocking with , and playing with the kitten, I finally decided to skip my workout. Ugh. I felt super guilty for about an hour, especially when my husband came home all exhausted from football practice. I was exhausted, too, but not in the just-had-a-great-sweat kind of way, so I got a little jealous - and then I got over it.

While I had planned to work out today, I also had to listen to my body. People say it all the time, and I read it on blogs constantly, but my judgment sometimes gets clouded with the feeling that I need to push through my workout. Tonight, like the rest of the week, I was purely exhausted, and I needed a break. Now I'll be more refreshed when I am ready to work out next time. I feel good and relaxed and ready for a good night of sleep.

So once I accepted my night off from working out, I prepared a pretty delicious meal, if I do say so myself. The star of the show? My roasted red potatoes. :-)

Bruschetta appetizer

Grilled chicken atop mozzarella and spinach

The full meal

Roasted Red Potatoes
Serves 3-4
  • 12 small red potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut the potatoes into quarters. On a baking sheet, toss the potato wedges, olive oil, and spices. Bake the potatoes for 25-30 minutes, turning once. The potatoes should be tender enough to pierce with a fork easily.

Roasted red potatoes

These potatoes made the meal! They had a nice bit of crunch on the outside and were delightfully tender inside. They complimented the chicken and tomatoes perfectly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment