Sunday, April 1, 2012

Back to LA and Back on Track

Hey everybody, I'm back! I'm sure you're breathing a huge sigh of relief, right? Well, worry no more, I'm back in LA and ready to get back on track.

In case you missed my posts from this week (I wrote and set them to publish before I left), you can catch up here:

Special thanks for the feedback I got about my Why I Don't Weigh Myself post. I'm thrilled to see I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of scales!

I promise to work on some vacation recaps tonight and tomorrow, but today is all about getting back to normal, back to work (tomorrow), back on track. 

I worked out four days out of eight while on vacation (an additional two days were active but not official workouts), including my three Boot Camp workouts from Tina's Best Body Boot Camp Week 4. Let me tell you, working out on a moving ship is not easy. One day, for cardio, I did a running/incline walking routine much like this one, and the sea was particularly rough. I got super dizzy and a little nauseous. I eventually had to cut my routine from my goal of 40 minutes to 35. Terry joined me for two of the workouts (he did his own workouts the other days), and one of the hardest moves was the walking lunge with medicine ball twist. 
(Source)

We agreed it was ridiculous to complete walking lunges on a rocky boat, but we pushed through. With the tough workouts and lots of activity, I felt good about my fitness level, but I'm happy to be back to my normal six-days-a-week routine. It'll start with a run and some strength later today.

As for my eating...well, let's just say I'm super excited to get back to my homemade meals again. Cruises are all-you-can-eat-all-the-time, and I certainly took advantage of the delicious, never ending supply of food. Among my favorite foods on the ship: fresh cinnamon rolls, a killer brownie sundae on our last night, and lots and lots of martinis (more on that in my recap posts). I tried my very best to squeeze in 5 fruits and vegetables every day, but I'm not convinced that I succeeded every day. 

Now that I'm back at home, it's all about portion control, lots of fresh produce, a major cutback on sweets and alcohol, and tons of water. I started this morning with a seriously delicious batch of oatmeal.

Back on track oatmeal

For an extra creamy texture, I added Greek yogurt instead of milk (okay, we didn't have milk). I also added a delicious concoction to satisfy my raging sweet tooth. I combined the following:

  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 heaping tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
I heated the peanut butter and honey for about 30 seconds and then stirred in the cinnamon and vanilla. Oh my goodness, what a delicious treat! I stirred about half the mixture into my oatmeal for a protein-packed breakfast. 

Healthy and sweet!

Before we left to head back home, our friend asked everyone what they're most excited to get back home to. We all groaned about having to go back to work, chores, real life, nontropical climates, but can you guess my response?

Happy to have us home

Scout's been very vocal since we got home last night around midnight. He woke me up around 4:30 this morning in hopes of playing, but I convinced him to let us sleep a few more hours. Now I'm off to unpack, sort laundry, play with Scout, and write up meals for the week. See you later for a recap on our Caribbean cruise!

0 comments:

Post a Comment