Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One of Those Days


Yowza! Some days I am just on it! I’m focused, organized, and productive. I feel good when I wake up, and I push through the day with no problems. I find quick solutions to obstacles and really just conquer the day.

Today was not one of those days.

I woke up late—not just too late to do a workout, but late late. I scrambled through my shower and breakfast, only to notice that my biscuits’ first round in the toaster was completed with the oven door open. 
Excellent.

Then at 6:45 (15 minutes later than my ideal departure time), I realized that I still had to dry my hair.

Off to a great start.

On the way to work, the rain reminded me (far too late) that I should have brought a rain coat. At least I had an umbrella.

But then I was greeted in my classroom by a huge puddle of water – because I had forgotten about the leak in the ceiling and didn’t put up the fancy water catcher.

Puddles aren't as fun when you have to clean them

Luckily, the rough parts of my day ended pretty early (and honestly, they were all my fault), and I think I got pretty lucky with no rain during our cheer tryouts and almost no traffic on the way home. 

My workout today had to be slightly altered because our tiny gym can't really accommodate the five of us who were in there at once. So instead of completing the circuit workout I had planned (I absolutely couldn't lose my spot on the treadmill!), I did all my running and then decided to just call it a night. My run looked like this:
  • Mile 1: 6.0 mph
  • Mile 2: 6.5 mph
  • Mile 3: 7.0 mph
  • Mile 4: 7.5 mph
Honestly, before I started, I didn't think I could do it. I mentioned yesterday that I usually do interval cardio, because a) I get bored easily and love the quick changes in incline or pace, and b) I love the intensity of HIIT-type workouts. But I know it's also good to challenge myself to hold a steady pace for extended periods of time. And today I certainly pushed myself! I'm excited to say that I also got through a consistent 7.5 mph pace for an entire mile. I'm thrilled about a sub-8-minute mile! 

Before I ran into the crowd at the gym, my original plan was to insert a little cardio circuit after each mile; the circuit looked like this:
  • 1 minute jump rope
  • 1 minute jumping jacks
  • 1 minute star jumps
  • 1 minute speed skaters
  • 1 minute toe taps 
I think adding this short circuit would have really boosted my workout, but four miles was an awesome accomplishment, so perhaps next week I'll try again.

Up next: WIAW! Here's my What I Ate Wednesday for the second week of April.

6:45 am - Breakfast
Spinach, eggs, whole wheat biscuit with jam

and tea

10:15 am - Morning Snack
Yogurt with honey, cinnamon, and peanut butter (better than it looks)

12:30 pm - Lunch
Leftover Sesame-Almond Chicken with Broccolini

2:00 pm - Snack
Cheez-Its! One of my true weaknesses - a little treat from one of my cheerleaders.

4:15 pm - Afternoon Snack
World's Least Juicy Orange

8:15 pm - Dinner



Whole wheat pasta with leftover homemade pasta sauce, spinach, and mozzarella



9:45 pm - Dessert
Leftover bunny butt cake

Plus about 76 ounces of water throughout the day.


After dinner, Scout found my jump rope and had himself a blast.






One last piece of news to share: 

BLWB's first dollar! I made exactly $1.30 in the month of December. Thanks so much for reading and for earning me the big bucks. :-) Honestly, I'm super excited just to write every night and to "meet" new people in the healthy living community (bloggers and readers). But if a little money comes my way, I won't pretend I'm upset about it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment