Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Best Tuna Salad Ever

Okay, I know I promised a more detailed cruise recap (since the other one consisted entirely of photos), but tonight's not the night. In fact, today has been filled with unfulfilled (<--word play!) promises.

But here's a sunset photo from the cruise to tide us over.

It started with our futile attempt to wake up for a morning workout. 4:45 came along, and we both woke up, looked at each other, and promptly settled in for another hour of sleep. And boy, oh boy, did it feel amazing to get that extra hour. But yes, I felt particularly guilty when I actually did wake up later.

Then I intended to do some blog work before a work meeting tonight, but I got swept up in lesson planning and classroom organizing. So that didn't happen either.

And now, here it is, my post - but alas, no cruise recap. The truth is, I want to provide a detailed account of our awesome trip, so tomorrow's the day. (Tomorrow we're also attempting to wake up early for a workout, too, so we'll see how that goes.)

Aside from unfulfilled promises, the day was a good one. Certainly better than yesterday. I felt productive at work, had a great meeting, and ate several delicious meals, including a smoothie, veggie wrap, and leftover pork in sandwich form. Throw in some fruit for snacks and I was a happy camper.

I have found some time this week to check out a few awesome health-related articles that I want to share with you. I found them fascinating and would love to hear your thoughts! My favorite is from Perry's Plate, because Natalie discusses the transition from processed to real foods, which can be both daunting and empowering in such a processed world. Natalie is doing weekly features about real food, which I'm stoked to read!

Speaking of real food, I've got a seriously delicious tuna salad recipe for you. I almost never make tuna salad, even though I love it. Honestly, I never have mayo. What a silly excuse, right? So I made tuna salad without mayo!

Tuna Salad
Serves 4
In Terry's words, "Best tuna ever!"
  • 2 cans tuna packed in water
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons sweet relish
  • 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or more)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Drain your tuna, then combine all ingredients in a bowl. Chill for one hour (or don't; honestly, it'll still be delicious, and who wants to wait an hour?).

Serving suggestions:
  • Lightly grill a whole-wheat tortilla with cheese of your choice, then wrap the tuna with some fresh romaine lettuce
  • Add frozen corn kernels to the tuna, then serve with celery or on a bed of greens
  • Use in a healthy tuna melt (whole wheat bread, of course!)
  • Serve on Triscuits or Trader Joe's Woven Wheats
Variations:
  • Add some lemon juice or lemon zest
  • Add a pinch of dill
  • Use different colors of bell peppers
  • Use whole-grain brown mustard for a bolder mustard flavor
Enjoy!

Hope you had a great day today! We're off to bed for a good night's sleep before that 4:30 wake up call!

0 comments:

Post a Comment