Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Day in the Life - Evening Edition

I was super groggy when we woke up this morning, but I also couldn't wait for breakfast. Yesterday, I made some batter for banana pancakes, and all I had to do this morning was cook 'em up while making my lunch.


I made the pancakes following Lisa's recipe, and I added walnuts and pecans. I topped it this morning with butter and a little bit of syrup, plus a few strawberries.

At school today, lunch was provided by our district, so I ate a piece of vegetarian pizza and a side salad with tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and cucumbers. The salad was surprisingly good! I also ate an apple on my way home from work.

As I thought about my post for tonight, I realized that this evening had been exactly a typical night for us. It's funny how quickly we can fall into our old routines. Today was my first day actually working at my new school (we had a technology workshop for new teachers), and I immediately settled into my school schedule.

3:30 pm - Leave work, make sarcastic comments at horrible drivers on my way to the grocery store
3:45 pm - Get super excited about the fact that it only took me 15 minutes to get to the store, grab my items, and chat with the checker at Trader Joe's
4:25 pm - Arrive home, put away the groceries, play with the kitten, eat a few homemade pita chips with hummus



(To make the pita chips a few days ago, I used Trader Joe's Whole Wheat pitas, cut them into six triangles, spread them out on a baking sheet, and sprayed them on both sides with my Misto olive oil sprayer. Then I sprinkled one side with sea salt and popped them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes, until golden brown and crunchy. I let them cool completely before stacking to avoid letting them get mushy.)

4:45 pm - Check e-mail, work on school stuff
5:45 pm - Terry arrives home and startles the cat, who is sleeping in a bag next to the door


6:00 pm - Head out for our run (today it was only four miles at an easy pace, because we are officially tapering!
7:00 pm - Arrive home, eat a spoon of peanut butter, drink a glass of milk


7:04 pm - Shower, put on comfy clothes, start dinner
7:50 pm - Sit down to eat dinner, which was fajitas (fajita salad for me)

See that giant bowl? I could only eat half. I got too excited while assembling my meal!

I sauteed onion, zucchini, and bell pepper and seasoned them with Terry's Mexican spice mix. I browned up some ground turkey, heated some black beans, and then threw it all together with Romaine lettuce, sour cream, corn, cheddar cheese, and avocado. Delicious, and very filling!


Terry made some delicious guacamole, and I had a few chips to go along with it.

8:15 pm - Watch Jeopardy, which we recorded earlier, while stretching
8:45 pm - Start writing the blog post while Terry does dishes
9:30 pm (to be fair, this part is a prediction) - Finish cleaning up and get ready for bed
9:45 pm - Relax, watch a little TV, read, and go to sleep

This, my friends, is what marriage looks like. At least our marriage. And it's awesome.

Check out the other WIAW posts!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! He thinks so, too, which is why he keeps posing in such cute ways!

      Delete
  2. i love your routine, it's so similar to mine! except for the fact that i live in washington dc and my boyfriend lives in texas, so i mostly just do all that stuff on my own. i live for a routine, and so i'm so glad to be back in it. i also love that you record jeopardy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I seriously look forward to Jeopardy every night. I can't quite explain it; just a little habit we started a few years ago.

      Long distance sucks - my husband is sometimes gone for months at a time for work. I don't know how you do it, but way to go!

      Delete
  3. I love routine nights. My husband works ALL THE TIME so anytime he's home and we just have dinner and watch tv I am over the moon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boring is best, right?! Keeps me sane to know what to expect when I get home!

      Delete
  4. I love your breakfast. You have a very healthy diet. Nice!

    http://healthyfatloss101.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am all about a healthy breakfast!

      Delete