Wednesday, August 29, 2012

WIAW + 3 Cheers for Today

Halfway through the week! Who's stoked? I'm super excited for a couple reasons:

1. I've officially survived my first two days of teaching at my new school.
My first two days went extremely well. I was so nervous, as if it was my first day teaching. To the teachers out there: Will I always get so antsy, or is it just because it was a new school? I can't remember being quite that anxious the last two years, but I may just be forgetting. But anyway, the students were fun and kind, and I think I have some great classes. I'm excited to see such a difference among all my classes--such different personalities! It'll be so fun to learn about each student, as it always is.

I have to say, though, I'm exhausted! Both days really took it out of me, and I know I just need to get back into the swing of things. 

2, It's 7:38 pm, and we've already finished our workout AND dinner.
Yes. That's right. And actually, we finished dinner right around seven! Lately we seem to be eating at 7:45 or 8:00, and yesterday and today we went ahead and got things done much earlier.

Part of that is shorter workouts. Since we're tapering for our half marathon (COUNTDOWN: 3 DAYS), we've agreed to focus our workouts on our upper body only (I'm still doing Tina's boot camp but omitting any leg exercises), plus some very light runs. Today after work we did a quick arm/shoulder/chest workout, and my arms were shaking when I ate dinner!

But eating earlier also means we get to bed earlier, and we feel more refreshed in the mornings. It's all part of a grand scheme, because someday I want to be a morning exerciser! We've agreed to start slowly, so here's our plan:
  • Spend a week or two going to bed early and waking up a little earlier each day.
  • Start getting up at 5 am to do half-workouts (30 minutes of just cardio or just weights, for example); do the second half of the workout in the afternoon/evening.
  • Eventually, get up at 4:30 for full workouts!
Someday...

3. MOST exciting: Chris and Ashley are getting married in ONE MONTH!!! I can't wait to see my big brother marry his best friend!

Alright, on to today's eats!
Check out the other WIAWs!
6:15 am - Breakfast


Cantaloupe, peaches, and whole wheat sourdough toast with butter and jelly

10:00 am - Morning Snack

1/2 cup of Trail Mix

1:15 pm - Lunch

Cream cheese, tomato, spinach, and cucumber on a whole wheat pita. 

5:00 pm - Pre-Workout Snack


New-to-me dip with crackers from TJ's...SO GOOD. And pretty much all real ingredients!

6:30 pm (!!!) - Dinner

Oh yeah. This happened. Just a teaser, though; recipe to come next week! (I need to tweak it so it's perfect!)

After I publish this post (approximately 8:30 pm) - Dessert
Frozen yogurt, here we come! I'll Instagram it--are you following me? I link my Instagram photos to Twitter, too...

13 comments:

  1. Ooh half marathon is coming up, huh? Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday! Nervous and excited. Thanks so much! Hope the move was good!

      Delete
  2. Excited for your half marathon...remember to make massage appointments to reward yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck @ the 1/2 this weekend girl. So excited for you two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited--especially for it to be over.

      Delete
  4. i think i'll always be anxious on the first day of school, at least a little bit, but the new school adds a whole new dynamic. i was way less nervous this year because it was my second year at my school and i already knew so many of the students. i was so excited to see some of my favorites (whatever - if you tell me you don't have favorites you're lying ;) ) that it helped me get over the nervousness.

    i am so excited to hear how your half marathon goes! way to go!! and i love taper weeks - those were my favorite when i was training for halfs last year and i cannot wait to taper for my full marathon in october.

    good luck with the morning workouts! i really wish i could but i know that if i wanted to work out i'd have to get up at 3:30 and that's not an acceptable wakeup time in any world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I can't believe you are doing a full--amazing! I'm excited to see how it goes for you too.

      Delete
  5. I just tried that spinach and kale dip too! It was one of the things I got at my very first trip to a Trader Joes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting into the swing of routine def takes time. I like your progression that you will be working up to. Exciting about your half coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I'm excited for it to be over! :-)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your first year of teaching! As a fellow teacher, I understand how important those first few weeks are to set a tone and provide expectations. You will do great and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete