Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Snack Day

Today involved one big event: running nine miles. The rest, which wasn't much, revolved around recovering and refueling from said nine miles and taking care of errands.

We slept in a bit and were out the door by 9 am for our run. We agreed to take it slow and kept a great pace (around 6.3 mph) the entire time. Even when Terry veered off course and sunk his foot into a muddy patch of grass.

Differently colored shoes!

Looks like it's about time for new running shoes! We finished fairly strong, agreeing that four more miles won't kill us. Our race, the Disneyland Half Marathon, is on September 2, only four weeks away. I'm excited, but these long runs are brutal. I'm looking forward to a long break from running after the race!

Instead of making a huge meal at 11 am, I assembled a variety of snacks to help us recover while sitting, icing, and moaning about our respective aches.

Banana bread (with peanut butter for me, cream cheese for Terry), grapes, and trail mix

Since our timing was awkward, we spent the rest of the day snacking.

Apples with peanut butter and raisins

My favorite chips
Olives for Ter

Tonight it'll be loads of vegetables (zucchini, squash, spinach) in our pasta.

Among all the snacks, Terry and I took our little guy in a field trip to Petco. The poor thing is terrified of his carrier (I guess past car trips have traumatized him?), and he hides when we take it out. But we got him all settled in, and he was great during the whole trip! He didn't cry in the car or at the store, even when we walked in to find a huge display of cats and kittens up for adoption.

My heart just melted. Mind you, I still claim that I am not a cat person. I love my cat, and I can appreciate a lot more about cats now that I own one, but I'm still a dog person. These cats, though...I didn't take pictures because I was holding Scout's carrier, so just use your imagination. Several were under 6 months old, all cuddled up together. Two were only 10 days old, guzzling milk from a bottle. We donated a few cans of cat food to help out, and the assistant asked if Scout would like a friend. Cute as they were, we're a one-cat family for now.

I'm cool with laundry baskets, but mesh carriers? HELL no!

Just leave me here. I'll watch the Olympics and let you know what happens.

Back at home, we spent the rest of the day relaxing, munching on the above snacks, swearing at the foam roller, and loving our lazy Sunday. Tonight I'm headed out for a girls' night of Olympics, wine, and cookies. I'm hoping to get home early enough to hit up the hot tub and soothe my poor legs!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you and Terry are running the race together in a few weeks! Have you two run a race together before?

    Hope you had a wonderful girls night out.. I mean how could you not with olympics & cookies?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, this is my first race! Terry has done relays before (Ragnar Relays with his coworkers), but this will also be his first half marathon. We're excited!

      Delete