Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Midday Work Date

Is it ridiculously hot where you are, too? It lovely outside, but our apartment is an oven. While I'm grateful to have a few more weeks before work starts, I can't help getting excited about having a normal routine again.

This morning I woke up to see Terry off to work and then got a little blog work in before heading to the gym. My warm up for the day was running around with Scout for five minutes, and I'm not sure who had more fun. But he is just too hot to go much longer than that, so we kept it short.

Boot camp rocked today. I wasn't really in the mood--hey, it's hot!--but 10 minutes into Tina's "pull" exercises mixed with cardio, I was focused and powered through the rest of the hour.  

Be sure to check out all the other WIAWs!

9:30 am - Breakfast

Plain Greek yogurt, sliced banana, scoop of peanut butter, and some Uncle Sam Original cereal. 

The heat must have killed my appetite, because I didn't eat my usual morning snack today. And even at noon, when I ventured into the kitchen to make lunch, I realized I really wasn't hungry. 

 1:00 pm - Lunch
Two zucchini latkes and a fried egg.

Recipe for the latkes is from Courtney's blog


And a cookie for my post-lunch dessert. 


Around 2 pm, I headed over to Jenn's so we could suffer through the heat together. We both had work to do and weren't being productive enough separately, so I packed up and headed over. Of course, I brought snacks!

3:00 pm - Afternoon snack


Pistachios, grapes, and watermelon (supplied by Jenn)

We definitely plowed through a good amount of work together. I studied for my personal training certification, and Jenn did some data collection (she's in a Ph.D. program). It was fantastic to be out of the house, disconnected from the Internet. And as much as I love my cat, when I'm home with him I feel ridiculously guilty when he looks even remotely bored.

To end our work session, Jenn surprised me with the best song EVER on Just Dance (the video game). First of all, this game is AMAZING. You dance. To awesome songs. And you don't have to go out to a club. You can be in your PJs and just rock it.

So what was the song? Let's see if you can guess, and I'll go ahead and tell you the answer tomorrow. Here are my hints:

  • Female artist, not American
  • Pop
  • 80s/90s feel
  • From one of my favorite TV shows (but not a theme song)
Once I got home, I had a little bit of time to prep dinner, which was a new recipe! While I made it, I sipped on cucumber-mint-lemon water, which was delightfully refreshing.


For dinner, I combined two pesto recipes I've made recently, and it turned out to be fantastic! I used the pesto to make grilled turkey and pesto panini. 

6:30 pm - Dinner


Turkey and pesto with gruyere cheese


Another zucchini latke


Some chips


A glass of chardonnay

After dinner, we ran a few errands and stopped at Twist on our way home. Oops!

Oreo yogurt with Oreos, hot fudge, almonds, and whipped cream

Spinach and Edamame Pesto
Makes 3/4 cup 

  • 1/2 cup spinach leaves, loosely packed
  • 1/4 cup mint leaves, loosely packed
  • 6 ounces edamame (if frozen, thaw first)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Juice from 1/2 small lemon
  • Approx. 1/2 cup olive oil 
Combine first six ingredients (spinach through garlic). Process in food processor about 5-10 seconds, then slowly drizzle olive oil and continue processing. Check the pesto to get the consistency you want (for creamier pesto, add more olive oil and process a bit longer; for chunky pesto, limit your olive oil and keep the processing to a minimum). Finally, add the lemon juice and pulse a few more times.



Enjoy!

Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
For me, too hot. I know it's easier to warm up, but I spend most of my life feeling too cold, and I'm just 100 times more comfortable when I'm toasty!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I can't choose what to comment on & what looks better. Everything looks so good :)

    I'd rather be too hot. I'm a constant complainer in the winter. I honestly hateeee being cold! It may be the worst feeling ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! I'm ALWAYS cold!

      Delete
  2. I may be TOTALLY off here, because I have no idea whether it's on Just Dance or not - but I'm going to guess Robin Sparkles "Let's go to the Mall" from HIMYM.

    If that is not the answer, it definitely should be. Because that song cracks me up every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You got it! I can't believe you guessed it! I love that song and wish it was my ring tone.

      Delete
  3. Too HOT. I'm always cold, even in the summer. We even carry extra blankets in the car now so "Madison doesn't whine when the a/c is on!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your zucchini latke looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete