Friday, August 31, 2012

One Week Down + Grocery Lists

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your advice and words of encouragement! Terry and I are excited for some rest tonight and tomorrow morning before we head to Anaheim for the pre-race expo and stay the night there before the race itself on Sunday morning. Wish us luck!

Today marked the end of my first week teaching at my new school. I am having so much fun getting to know my new students, and it's wonderful that they kindly greet me in the halls. After work today, Terry picked me up and we headed to a new-to-us restaurant nearby. We just went in for an appetizer to let the traffic die down a bit, and their pizza was phenomenal! We ordered the M.S.G. Pizza, a funny name for a mushroom-sausage-green onion pizza, and I can't wait to go back for more. The rest of their menu looked really inventive, too!


This week was really tough for both me and Terry, and I really slacked in the kitchen and grocery shopping areas. Every time we tried to pack our lunches, we found ourselves scratching our heads, wondering how we would create a meal out of spinach and raw oats. I finally shaped up and made a seriously delicious quiche last night (I used Lisa's crust and filling recipe, and we used manchego, spinach, and tomato to make it delicious). We had leftovers for lunch and still have more for tomorrow! So we scraped by this week, but I promised Terry I would make a list and menu today so that he could shop on his day off (teamwork!).


Success! I was starving while I wrote out my menu, so you can imagine I was drooling and thinking of my favorite foods. Obviously, I wound up with comfort foods, which are sounding mighty good lately. Chili cheese fries? (I'll show you how I pump up the nutrition in that one.) Pasta pie? That one came from a recipe on Courtney's blog, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. I plan to make two pies so we can have lots of delicious leftovers throughout the week. No more scrounging for lunches around here!

As you can see, I only planned our meals up through Wednesday night. We'll likely have enough leftovers of something (pie and/or chili) to see us through the entire week of lunches, but this dinner strategy is pretty normal for me. I don't mind stopping at the store a second time during the week, and it's a great chance to stock up on more fruits or snacks as needed. Plus, honestly, I really don't know what I want to eat on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so I'll leave it open for whatever recipes strike my fancy.

Tonight, I'm taking it very easy. I came home to an incredibly clean house, because my husband is awesome, so my weekend started on a great note. We ate pizza early, so Terry's slicing up some bread, cheese, and salami for our second dinner.

Taking a break from the vegetables, apparently

 I hope to get a bit of grading in before bed, we'll watch some Arrested Development tonight, and we head to Anaheim tomorrow!

Do you plan and shop for full weeks, or just a little at a time?

And because it's Friday:


Hope you have an amazing night! See you tomorrow for a very nervous pre-race post.

9 comments:

  1. My goodness, that pizza looks delicious!! We usually shop for weeks @ a time, but I do make a trip each week for extra produce & fruit that we run out of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pizza looks so good! And that second dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I'm working on my photography skills so you all don't have to look at blurry messes.

      Delete
  4. Denise Ante-ContrerasSeptember 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

    I make a weekly meal plan for 5 dinners, and the other 2 dinners we eat out or have leftovers. I go grocery shopping every Friday or Saturday and stick to my list completely. We moved recently and my favorite stores (Sprouts, Fresh&Easy) are farther away now, so making a plan and list helps me only have to go once a week!

    You guys sure eat a lot of leftovers! I make something for dinner and we maybe have it for lunch the next day, and that's it, I get sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't usually eat so many leftovers, especially in the exact same form! But I'm hoping it'll be good enough to go for the whole week...we'll see!

      I've still never been to a Fresh & Easy! I need to check it out!

      Delete
  5. i love meal planning - keeps me sane! there's no way i could get away with grocery shopping once a week (well...probs more like twice a week if i'm being honest) if i didn't do some serious up front work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to make a meal plan for Monday thru Thursday and shop on Sundays for that plus breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. Fridays and Saturdays we wing it. The grocery stores are only 5 minutes away, so it's easy to run and grab things when we need.

    (you are no alone in the second dinners of cheese and meats or in the lacking in veggies on a Friday night. :-))

    ReplyDelete