Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thanksgiving in August

Today I have another guest post over at HealthDecide! Check it out, let me know what you think. Hint: It's all Olympics-related!

I'm loving all your comments and thoughts on last night's post. I think we can all continue learning--from each other, from life experiences, from ourselves--and I appreciate your input!

Speaking of yesterday, man am I sore today! Boot camp is no joke, and Tina really changed things up this time around so we're challenged in a whole new way. This week we're working on "push" and "pull" exercises on different days. I really like the way Tina designs these workouts and am excited to be learning more about different ways to approach strength training and cardio. As I said, I'm already sore today and can't wait for tomorrow's challenge! As Barney would say...

(Source)

Today, Terry and I laced up our sneakers yet again and hit the pavement for a five mile doozy. I tried something a little different and listened to a few chapters of Harry Potter on audiotape while running, which made the time fly. As much as I love running with Terry because he really pushes me, I also struggle running in complete silence. Terry would be perfectly content to run 10 miles with no iPod, no conversation, but I need a little something. TV, music, chatting, I'll take what I can get (and a variety is ideal!). I usually fire up my iPod about halfway through a run because I don't want to force Terry to chat with me (though I am very interesting, of course), but I don't want to just think about how much it hurts to keep going.

Actually, though, today was a perfect opportunity to try out the audiobook, because I felt an ache in my foot about five minutes in. Since it was my surgery foot (<--awesome swollen foot photo), and since I also felt a pain in it on Sunday, I opted not to push it. Walking didn't hurt at all, so Terry went ahead while I walked a shorter route (maybe three miles). I think I'll spend the rest of this week completing lighter cardio in order to manage our long run this weekend. Since we're so close to our half marathon, I don't want to cause any injuries! And of course, RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Target tomorrow to grab some compression socks (hate when that happens... :-).

The highlight of the day today was dinner! I found some turkey breast cutlets at Trader Joe's last week and froze them until today. I marinated the cutlets in some homemade chicken broth for about two hours and grilled them up on the stove. Meanwhile, I boiled some small potatoes, and finally, I whipped up two batches of Courtney's zucchini latkes (minus the red onion because I didn't have any). And to top it all off, I whisked together a little gravy, which tasted awesome on everything.



Who says you can't have a turkey feast in the middle of summer? The turkey was a welcome change from chicken, and the gravy and potatoes made for fantastic comfort food. Despite the heat (our apartment has been sweltering all day), this meal really hit the spot. Plus we have a few leftovers for tomorrow!

I hope it's been a great week for you so far! And now, I leave you with a montage of Scout, playing while I changed the sheets today.






Don't forget to check out my post at HealthDecide!

Do you work out with music? Podcasts? TV? A friend? In silence?
I just don't have very interesting thoughts, because cardio in silence makes me want to cry.

3 comments:

  1. I NEVER comment, but the fact that your small potatoes are in a completely perfect penis shape made me laugh so hard I just had to say something! :)
    Btw, I can do Thanksgiving anytime of year, too! Hope your foot feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to make those latkes. And gotta say that the previous comment made me take a second look at the potatoes and bahaha!

    Okay, more mature talk now. I hope your foot gets better! Definitely the smart approach to take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't run in silence either! I go back and forth between music and Jillian Michaels podcasts. I don't know how people can run in silence. I don't like the thoughts that rattle around in my head that much!
    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete