Thursday, August 9, 2012

Boots and Sushi

Happy Friday! It's nearing the end of my summer, and I'm extremely aware that I have precious few weeks left of this ridiculous freedom. Luckily, I've been waking up fairly early (around 6 or 6:30) so as to avoid shocking my system when school starts.

Today I woke up early, but Terry woke up way earlier. He was up by 5 to complete his 5-mile run before work--amazing! I'm always impressed when people wake up early; I can count on my fingers the number of times I've worked out before work in the last five years. As much as I love it when I'm done, I just can't get myself up at 4:30 or 4:45, which is how early I'd have to wake up to get a solid 45 minutes in before work. Any tips?

Once I did wake up this morning, after Terry was already showered and practically ready, I made it to the gym by 7 to work out with Jenn, our little summer routine. Boot camp called for 30 minutes of cardio, which flew by thanks to some fun conversation. I spent the morning eating breakfast, cleaning out our linen closet, and playing with Scout. I can't tell you how much I appreciate these days of arranging my schedule how I please, and I promise I don't take them for granted!

Around 11:30, I picked up Terry from work and headed over to Boot Barn, where we each bought cowboy boots!


Obviously, mine are the black ones.

My birthday is this Saturday, and Terry is taking me horseback riding on Sunday! It's such a thoughtful, fun, personal gift. We've never been riding together, but it's something I always loved when I was younger. My dad took me a lot when I was a kid and was very jealous to hear that we're going riding AND got boots. Happy birthday, indeed!

On my way home from our errand, I (ironically) couldn't help but notice this very (ironically) prominent building near a (ironically) very busy intersection.


I just...I mean...I don't even know what to say.

And this evening we ventured all the way to West Hollywood for happy hour sushi at Omi Sushi with some of Terry's dive buddies. We had a great time chatting with everyone, and I felt very welcome despite my aversion to diving. The sushi rolls were fantastic, and you can't beat the prices! Happy hour is every day from 4 to 10 pm! Amazing!


Tomorrow Jenn and I are meeting up again for another workout, and I'm looking forward to a day of studying, lesson planning, and relaxing.

As for now, I have a little kitten curled up next to me, and I think he needs some cuddling. I hope you have a fantastic Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Would you take classes at a secret pole dance studio? 

But seriously, when do you work out? Morning, afternoon, evening, night?
During the school year, I usually work out right after work, around 4 or 5 pm, but I really really wish I could get myself up to work out in the morning. Any suggestions for how to make it happen are more than welcome!

14 comments:

  1. So here's the funny thing....
    One of my closest friends got married a couple weeks ago and for her bachelorette party we went to THAT pole dance studio for a class. I didn't even know it was there! And as crazy as this may seem, it was actually really fun. But then again, we did start with champagne. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we live so close and you know all the places I mention! And I can't believe you went there--champagne first would be key for me, too!

      Delete
  2. OK. So I am jealous of your new, super cute boots, and that you get to go riding! Also, I miss you, and my summer just isn't the same without you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Arcadia stamp of approval on the boots! :-) Miss you too, and I always think of you when I'm on Pinterest and see adorable outfits.

      Delete
  3. What a fun birthday you have planned! I've only been riding once, and I wouldn't even really call it that. I was too little to even remember haha.

    Oh your sushi looks delicious too btw. Totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited! And sushi was delicious--we're excited to have a new (closer) sushi place!

      Delete
  4. love your boots! I need to get me a pair! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait to wear them and am already looking for excuses to put them on. :-)

      Delete
  5. oh my. i'ts before 10am and you have me craving sushi! :)

    i am a morning workout person when i can drag myself out of bed. it's much harder to get myself to the gym after a long day of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sushi is one of those things I really crave sometimes! I totally admire that you workout in the morning. I'm trying!

      Delete
  6. Lol - I love that secret pole dance studio sign. Who knows, it could be fun to take a class there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie at www.pbfingers.com wrote a great post on how to work out in the mornings! I'm still working on it but this helps! http://www.pbfingers.com/2010/08/16/how-to-work-out-in-the-morning/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute boots! Reminds me, how are you doing on looking for that dress for your brother's wedding?? So many options! Lol anyway I always work out in the evening after work. Though my job as been so tiring lately I haven't gone in over a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so need to learn how to work out in the morning. I'm just Not a morning person and love my sleep too much!!
    That sushi looks amazing!!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete